Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
IT WONT TAKE IN ANY VIDEO!!!!!!! i imovie hd is slow, but has more advanced features, i know this has been talked about, but thats not my point, imovie 08 has been bummed down, but fast, easy to use, and basic, thats what i like about it, plus the youtube share feature. i purchased an EX-Z1080 that records video in a .MOV file, its codec is H.264 DVI ADPCM, bit rate 524. my old camera was the EX-Z1000, that records in .AVI format, i can put it in imovie HD, but not imovie 08, i guess its because .AVI is a "windows" format video file. but now im suprised that imovie hd takes in the video from my new camera (EX-Z1080), but IMOVIE 08 DOESNT!!!!!!! i drag the video, no way, file> import movies...get out, it says when you plug something in, either a camera, or camcorder, and there is an option from importing from camera, it opens the box with the isight thing, but in the drop down, my camera isnt in it!!! i downloaded a random .mov file, and it worked, got imported, in the import window in imovie 08, in my old camera (.avi), the files were grayed out, same as for the new one, in order to get my files into imovie 08, i have to play this game of putting it into imovie HD, thinking of going to imovie 08 and selecting import imovie hd project, i guess it wont import one clip movies cuz you can just do that yourself, and plug it into imovie 08 cuz its nothing big, i have to share it as a quicktime movie, then import it, what the hell? who has this problem?? im burning mad, and one of the reasons i got this camera was for video!!! actually even more than the camera part, i didnt want a camcorder

update:

i tried dragging the file to the side bar in the events section, it states its not compatible with imovie

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
I'll take a shot, wth.

I've found that in order to get the best out of iMovie, you really ought to record in DV format (or HDV, for that matter). I've had some success using the .mov files from my compact digital camera, but I don't think that's the norm.

Remember that .avi is not a codec, only a container, which can contain a wide variety of formats (as is .mov). YMMV as to what kind your camera is recording in.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
I'll take a shot, wth.

I've found that in order to get the best out of iMovie, you really ought to record in DV format (or HDV, for that matter). I've had some success using the .mov files from my compact digital camera, but I don't think that's the norm.

Remember that .avi is not a codec, only a container, which can contain a wide variety of formats (as is .mov). YMMV as to what kind your camera is recording in.

is there a way to fix this? i just tryed one last thing, dragging the file to the side bar in the events section, it states its not compatible with imovie

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
there is some setting on it called video out, NTSC and PAL, which do i shoose, its like this:
NTSC 4:3
NTSC 16:9
PAL 4:3
PAL 16:9

i would be picking the 4:3 either way, i just need to know whether NTSC or PAL have to do with it

I don't have iMovie 08, only iMovie HD. Someone with a newer machine than mine will have to help you.

i was talking about imovie 08 the whole time:p

i know for sure it works on imovie hd;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.