Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
I usually work a 12 hour schedule. From early morning until I got home and placed it on the charger t was about 16 hours of use with 12% left. I expected it to last the whole 18, but was wondering if anyone noticed excessive power drain in certain periods of the day. For the first 6 hours it also recorded it as 5 hours of use and 1 hour of stand by. I was definitely not using it for 5 hours. Just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas of where the usage came from.

You think it's a possibility that having the realtime stock ticker on my watch face?

Only made 5 texts and about 8 doodletexts during that period.

noah82

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2008
San Diego, CA
Try to intentionally drain the battery until it kicks into power reserve. I had the same issue as you at first but once I did this my battery started lasting a lot longer.

I took it off the charger at 7:30am. It's 10:30pm now and even with a 80 minute workout and a good amount of usage (5 hours) I'm at 36%.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Try to intentionally drain the battery until it kicks into power reserve. I had the same issue as you at first but once I did this my battery started lasting a lot longer.

I took it off the charger at 7:30am. It's 10:30pm now and even with a 80 minute workout and a good amount of usage (5 hours) I'm at 36%.

Shoot, I already started charging it for the night, but I'll try draining it tomorrow. Thx

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I usually work a 12 hour schedule. From early morning until I got home and placed it on the charger t was about 16 hours of use with 12% left. I expected it to last the whole 18, but was wondering if anyone noticed excessive power drain in certain periods of the day. For the first 6 hours it also recorded it as 5 hours of use and 1 hour of stand by. I was definitely not using it for 5 hours. Just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas of where the usage came from.

You think it's a possibility that having the realtime stock ticker on my watch face?

Only made 5 texts and about 8 doodletexts during that period.

The stock ticker will definitely use more juice since it updates itself frequently.

In the week I've had it, my residual battery power has been around 30% after wearing it from 7am to 12:30am daily (42mm watch). This is without the stock ticker. Utility watch face with weather at the bottom.

Fredo C

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Just had my first workday with it as well, took it off the charger at 6:15am, worked a full day came home and then fell asleep with it on. Sport band is so comfy, this coming from someone who hasn't worn a watch inn years. Woke up in the middle of the night at 3:30am with 36% left.

Did some texting throughout the day, normal amount of app and time checks, some music control, showed some features to a few people at work, 30 minute workout, 10 minute conversation. I'm really impressed.

After 1 day I have the same feeling as I did with iPhone and iPad in the beginning, which is "How was I able to survive without this for so long?" Sure it's not perfect and I can think of several things that could use some improvement, but for those waiting it out for V2, which seem to be a lot of people, they are missing out on quite a good device that works very well right now.

Arcy858

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
first full work day with apple watch as well, watch came off charger at around 5:30 AM. Ran 30 mins with it using Workout, push notifications for twitter/email/instagram/espn/cnn/facebook/text msg throughout the day. Also used instagram/twitter apps, GPS for drive home of about 2-5 miles. Used timer 3x for breaks/lunch. Managed to fill up my Activity rings too. I'm about to approach 19 hours of usage with 42% battery remaining. Weather updating in the background and heart rate monitoring. Pretty confident the battery will not be an issue for me until native apps and SDK opens the floodgates.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Ok so I'm home now and from 5:30am to 9pm I'm still at 41% with the ticker off. Seems like it did the trick.

5.5 hours usage
15.5 hours of standby. Not bad, and it feels like I used it the same amount.

----------

Any updates on this? Did you try removing the stock ticker?

Update for you

J.gerbes

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Ok so I'm home now and from 5:30am to 9pm I'm still at 41% with the ticker off. Seems like it did the trick.

5.5 hours usage
15.5 hours of standby. Not bad, and it feels like I used it the same amount.

----------

Update for you

Perfect! Thanks for the confirmation. Looks like I wont be using a stock ticker on my watch (unless Apple can improve the battery life with OS updates)

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Perfect! Thanks for the confirmation. Looks like I wont be using a stock ticker on my watch (unless Apple can improve the battery life with OS updates)

Hey, even better news. Instead of having the stock ticker in the big center area on the Modular face, I placed the ticker in the upper left small complication and I still got awesome battery life. Comparable to yesterday with no ticker. Off the charger @ 05:30 and home now @ 20:06 with 46% left. Don't know if the weekend is a factor and it's smart enough to know not to keep checking stocks on weekends but it's been good. If you have to add a ticker like I prefer to do then maybe this is an option. I'm gonna keep trying this this week when the week days hit and compare.

J.gerbes

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I dont see how the position of the ticker will affect battery?

Stocks fluctuate right throughout the trading day. Each time you wake your watch, it checks the current stock price and refreshes the face. This is what uses up the battery

----------

Hey, even better news. Instead of having the stock ticker in the big center area on the Modular face, I placed the ticker in the upper left small complication and I still got awesome battery life. Comparable to yesterday with no ticker. Off the charger @ 05:30 and home now @ 20:06 with 46% left. Don't know if the weekend is a factor and it's smart enough to know not to keep checking stocks on weekends but it's been good. If you have to add a ticker like I prefer to do then maybe this is an option. I'm gonna keep trying this this week when the week days hit and compare.

Thats very interesting

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.