Had my first productive FaceTime last night

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Virgo, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

My roommate and I were trying to install a dimmer light switch in our living room, and his dad knows electricity so he called him on the phone. That didn't really help. But his dad has the iPad 2 and I have the new iPad so I told him to call me on FaceTime. He was able to walk us through the whole process and see the wires and everything in real time, and we got it to work! Plus it was entertaining to have his mom in the background worrying about him electrocuting himself, lmao. I just thought this was awesome. What was your most productive FaceTime?

2. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Anytime we can coordinate it with my parents. We have 2 kids and they live 3 hours away. FaceTime is an essential part of how they communicate with our children. They love it. Also used it to show them our bathroom when I was done remodeling it.

3. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Thats is so cool. You know, I have NEVER face timed. Im a facetime virgin. I know plenty of people with iPhones and iPads but no one wants to face time. They seem so shy. I used to dream of video chat being the future, its so sci-fi. Why dont people do it more often? I understand with an iPad its a bit wierd but i think its cool. With iPhones theres no excuse, theyre so small. Im one of those douches who openly shoots films with the iPad camera shamelessly. Maybe thats just me. We should start a facetime fanclub!

4. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

FaceTime is gold in a long distance relationship.

Shoot, even if you only live across town it's gold :)

5. SporkLover macrumors 6502

I use it to keep in touch with the kids and fam when I'm traveling for work.

6. BizRunner macrumors member

BizRunner

My girlfriend lives an hour away and FaceTime is an awesome thing for us

7. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I can't see one-on-one videoconferencing taking off in the business world anytime soon. When I take business calls on Skype, for example, I never have the camera on. The reason is simply because I want the flexibility to do other stuff while other people are rambling on. I also may still be in my jammies and don't usually like sharing that look.

Anyway, back on topic. I use FaceTime primarily with family. Works really well. I think I've used it with one friend, but that's it. Hasn't really caught on with most people.

8. mcsenerd macrumors regular

The best FaceTime chat I've had was with a...GASP... A jail broke iPhone 4. I was on one of the bay tour boats on San Fran bay, chatting with my kids back home in Texas. It was awesome and worked just fine over 3G. Kids got to see a leaping seal, Alcatraz, the Golden Gate, and more...and daddy got to see them at the same time. PRICELESS...

9. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

I love using facetime to chat with my nephews. When I was in NY in 2010 I was able to facetime them with my jailbroken iPhone 4 on the ferry boat over to the statue of liberty.

10. donnaw macrumors 65816

My husband works overseas. We use FaceTime every day except when I'm traveling and don't have wifi. Then we use Skype because I can use it on 3G. Our grandkids love talking to him on Sunday mornings (they usually spend Sat nights with me). He wasn't home for Christmas and yet was able to watch them opening their presents via FaceTime. I've even had him help diagnose a car problem from our driveway.

Years ago when he took his first overseas contract our first month's phone bill was just over $600. After that we were relegated to one short call a week. And email wasn't as easy as today. Thank goodness for technology! The savings on phone calls paid for both our iPads in just one month.

11. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

My son is going to England to study this summer for 2 months and we plan on using it extensively.