Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Masz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
I went up to a hotel and someone stole my iPad while I left it alone in a bag and used the restroom. however, I realized a couple days earlier I sent updated W2 forms to a freelance gig I was doing with my social security on them and they would show up near the top of a search if they clicked on the Mail app as that was my main and first mail account showing. I did change the password later when I got home, but I am afraid they know my full name and social security now. Even after changing the password they could read previously sent or received mails with attachments correct and Yahoo only tells the ipad user to please correct the password to be able to send/receive new mail?

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Aww man so sorry to hear that...I see people do that constantly especially at starbucks folks will even go to the bathroom and actually leave their Macbooks on the table:eek: I find myself watching it for them. Just because everone else in the place seems to have one doesn't mean its safe. Ya just can't do that. OP is their anyway you can disable your email through yahoo? Maybe get yourself a gmail account or something? I believe all a thief would have to do is select 'forgot password' on your personal sites (selected from the history of your web browser) and the link to change it will be sent to the email address (Your Yahoo) in the thiefs hands to do damage. You might want to deal with your Yahoo account first.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
Bummer, a real bummer. Did you have find my iPhone (iPad) activated? If so, you could try to track its location. If that fails, you can issue a command to wipe it and erase all content.

Hope you filed a police report. Also, wouldn't hurt to change all of your passwords.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
The following Apple Support Article is helpful. It explains how to find your serial number in order to report stolen goods to the police. It also explains how to use "Find My iPhone" to find and/or wipe your iPad, assuming you had enabled that.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2526

The serial number is also on the iPad's box.

Bummer, a real bummer. Did you have find my iPhone (iPad) activated? If so, you could try to track its location. If that fails, you can issue a command to wipe it and erase all content.

Hope you filed a police report. Also, wouldn't hurt to change all of your passwords.

This guy has good advice. I would do all of that.

Keep in mind that once you do a wipe, the find function won't work any more.

Masz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012

I never had it activated and barely used iCloud. It was a first generation so it isnt a huge deal as I was going to get an updated one anyway, it's just the personal data that I am worried about. I havent issued a polcie report but plan on doing it today after work. They actually went to that hotel and talked to other people there, but I left by that time. Also, I dont think I can issue a command to wipe its data unless I had the track/find my iPhone/iPad app activated on it?

----------

The following Apple Support Article is helpful. It explains how to find your serial number in order to report stolen goods to the police. It also explains how to use "Find My iPhone" to find and/or wipe your iPad, assuming you had enabled that.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2526

The serial number is also on the iPad's box.

This guy has good advice. I would do all of that.

Keep in mind that once you do a wipe, the find function won't work any more.

I already tried following that advice's link but when I go to My Support profile, nothing shows up under "My Products." My mom actually originally bought the iPad for me, so I thought it would show up under her Apple ID account but nothing shows up either. I think you have to register each device first?

----------

Also to add: WHen I go to iCloud.com and select find my iPhone and it starts searching for devices, nothing ever shows up. So I guess I never had it enabled on it?It says "No location available" and under it "none of your devices can be located."

Masz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
Hey guys, I realized that it does actually show up under devices. But it keeps saying that it is offline. I put a lock code on it. If it shows up under devices, does that mean I had find my iPhone on it by default and enabled? Or could my lock code not even go into effect at all?

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
The toughest lessons are the ones we don't forget.

Password protect your next one; you can even have it wipe itself after 10 failed password attempts.

And activate find my iPad. While it may little good in getting a stolen device back, at least you can wipe it remotely.

Thieves are scum and vermin.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012

Password protect your next one; you can even have it wipe itself after 10 failed password attempts.

And activate find my iPad. While it may little good in getting a stolen device back, at least you can wipe it remotely.

Sorry to hear that :( Above post is good advice - PIN protecting your iPad also encrypts it which will stop your average thief seeing its contents.

Masz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012

It wasnt just a thief but also a group of San Francisco prostitutes who for some reason the W hotel allows to roam freely among regular people in its bar.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
It wasnt just a thief but also a group of San Francisco prostitutes who for some reason the W hotel allows to roam freely among regular people in its bar.

Ohhh crap, you never stood a chance dude....:( Those chics will steal the goldfish out of the lobby pond if no one is looking...

Masz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
How do you guys think I should teach them a lesson next time I see them in one of these hotels. What would you guys recommend suggest? Taking something of theirs back? like a phone?

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
How do you guys think I should teach them a lesson next time I see them in one of these hotels. What would you guys recommend suggest? Taking something of theirs back? like a phone?

No leave them alone, SF whores will have their pimps and his boys jump you in an alley. If you feel you need to do something do this:
Write a detailed letter to management about your bad experience and how uncomfortable you were during your visit in that hotel. This will get their attention believe me, no Hotel want a bad rep in touristy SF.

Masz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 8, 2012
You guys dont get it. I will get my revenge one way or another and I did try to go to the cops and they wont do anything. They claim that because I wasnt strong armed or didnt physically see her with my own eyes put it in her bag than I have no proof and reporting it would only benefit me for insurance purposes. But I figure it will probably hurt me because after I am done with her or any of the four I see on the street, they may call the cops and I would only give them my identifying info if I reported it. The reason I know I will see at least one of them again is because I saw one the next day at night in front of a hotel trying to get a cab (probably after hooking). I asked her about it and at the time (before I made this post) I wasnt sure if it was them fully or which of them so I gave her a chance and she gave me a number and told me her name and said she lived there. The thing was the number she gave me turned out to be fake. Now I think about payback and revenge every day basically. Thats all I think about is how I am going to use my muay thai training to make them so ugly they will quit the trade and quit hooking and steal their phones after they are out so they cant tell cops they saw me do it physically like I cant and put it in a trash can nearby while it is off. The thing was I never even knew they were hookers at the beginning because they were the only girls that gave me any attention and didnt mention any money until some other guy invited them up and I kind of joined my way with him and them and later they asked for money.

----------

Another option is to just make a scene every time I see any of them. Make a scene to the hotel staff and other people nearby talking to them that they are thieves and hos. Everywhere they go I can make big scenes like if I was a black homeless guy.

----------

A third option would be to just not leave any facial marks or bruises, make sure no one is watching, and grab one of them and pull her to a dark alley and choke her out then take her phone and put it in the trash. That way she cant go to cops at all because A: No marks on her for assault and B: She didnt see me actually take the phone like the cops told me.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
What you're proposing will likely put you in jail for assault - or worse.

The cost of legal fees and bail would buy you a couple new iPads. Surely your integrity is worth far more than an iDevice.

Let it go and chalk up the experience as one of life's little lessons: never let any item of value out of sight in a public place.

SirChurchill

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
colbertpopcorn.gif

I look forward to the outcome of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.