Had send my mac in to be repaired and...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by southbark, Oct 15, 2007.

1. southbark macrumors regular

I tried asking him what was wrong at the genius bar and he said the logic board was messed up as i am use to pcs i am not sure what part of the notebook is the logic board. As it kept shutting off and saying mac os x quit unexpectedly

On the repair estimate it says

item # description
    661-4230 board,logic 2.33ghz 256mb vram
    s1491ll/a hardware repair level 2

what is repair level 2?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The big board with the CPU, GPU, Northbridge, Southbridge, etc. on it...

[​IMG]

3. southbark thread starter macrumors regular

Well that sounds bad does this occur alot and are these boards expensive i have pro care so for the next three years apple pays but i dont want to in year four.I have only had the MBP since 1/2/07 from amazon

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I've had a couple of Level 2 repairs. All costs were covered under AppleCare.

So it should not cost you anything except a few days without your computer. That is assuming that you did not cause the damage to the Logic Board.

5. coogee macrumors regular

It is still fairly sht that the major component of a very top of the range Notebook can fail inside a year, you then have to endure being without the machine whilst it is repaired, (plus transfer costs), whilst technicians monkey around with it, pulling the entire thing to pieces to install what is quite probably a refurbished Logic Board (THE MAJOR COMPONENT of the machine!) and opening up an inevitable journey into spinoff problems (I'm onto fan problems for now but am sure it'll be something else next.)

I'm shocked I've had a MBP for 3 months, now it is over 50% a refurbished machine, littered with tiny marks/changes that only an owner will notice.

WTF why don't Apple replace these immediately instead of messing around spending more on replacement parts, stuffing new customers around etc.. :mad::apple:

I'm sure I've had it easy. How much has to be replaced before Apple accepts it has sold you a dud? All of it presumably so you end up with a Frankenstein machine?

-maybe this isn't constructive or aiding the OP, I'm fed up today, sorry.

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

coogee, your post makes absolutely no sense...

im not sure what you mean by apple realizing they sold you a dud, theres much more to the machine than the logic board, like, lets see, RAM, HD, DVD drive, oh yeah and that 700 dollar LCD...

crap happens electronics fail, maybe its the CPU maybe the northbridge, or GPU just because someone elses component on the logic board dies dosent mean its apples fault for selling you a faulty computer, so if this is the way you feel i suggest you give up on buying electronics

and can you please clarify frankenstein machine???

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

after they have been out that long they get much cheaper

if i can remember correctly some of the people around here who have had water damage i think apple wanted somewhere around 800 or so to replace the logic board, id say in 4 year that price would be about half

besides when the warranty is up..just buy a new one

8. coogee macrumors regular

i'm rambling squeeks, no doubt about it :eek:

I would still see the Logic Board as the main component of a Notebook (I've already had the LCD replaced cheers, and I acknowledge this is the most likely/expensive part to fail). Because it has interconnectivity with the whole machine, a problem here is a problem everywhere. So replace it at the slightest sign of problems (as has happened to me) and you immediately open up the chance of knock-on problems created during the repair, or by a refurbished component etc..

By Frankenstein machine, I mean a MB/MBP that has experienced hardware problems, been in for repair, had components replaced, then been returned, identified as having more faults, been in for repair, had components replaced, then been returned, identified as having more faults etc.. until you cross a line where the replacements/repair process has cost Apple more than the MB/MBP was worth in the first place, plus you have a MB/MBP with more replaced components than original ones.

Whose fault is it then? I don't care who made what inside my :apple:, it's got a big :apple: on the box and it cost big bucks, surely I am paying for a functioning product that won't fail inside 3 months.

If it does fail, OK - electronics do, this is true. But now I have to endure a series of new and unpleasant repair shop experiences, potentially pointless repairs, damage beyond the original problem, all inevitable % consequences of handing over to a repair centre.

3 months is a poor show. And all I get is crap trying to get the thing fixed and refurbished components in a new machine etc.. ( I did mention I was a bit m-m-m-mad today :) )

9. southbark thread starter macrumors regular

no the real pain is usi ng your wii to surf the web nothat hurts stupid wii mote wish i could post a pic of what i looks like small and hard t o read is what it like

10. sixter macrumors newbie

I am on my third trip to the Apple Store to get my Power Mac G5 repaired. They replaced the logic board twice already. I looked up the price on the open market for a logic board and it is $800! I am glad I am still covered by my Applecare, but it is pretty frustrating that they can't figure out the problem.

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

As a matter of fact, you are not. Read the Apple (and any other) warranty. It specifically disclaims any responsibility that your machine will have uninterrupted service. Apple's only obligation is to repair it within the terms of the warranty if and when it fails. They are not obligated to provide you with a trouble free machine.

(and you're not paying "big bucks" either. Let me tell you about the Mac IIfx that cost more than a new car, or the $8,000 entry level IBM PCAT. To engineer a machine with redundant systems to guarantee uptime -- now THAT would take big bucks -- which is why corporations and ISPs pay $10,000 - $20,000 each for servers that are no more 'powerful' than a $1,500 Dell.)

12. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Which would be impossible. Even servers with backups still fail. That's why they have pieces which are easily and quickly replaceable.

13. southbark thread starter macrumors regular

Well i finally got it back tonight and it seems to be ok now

14. southbark thread starter macrumors regular

well my mac pro is back into the genius bar again because of the same problem less then 30 days after the logic board was replaced it had more kernal panics.Also the isight does not work and that darn power button is not level with the case again

So far they have replaced:

Logic Board
    Case top twice
    Isight
    Airport Card

I wonder waht is next?

15. pete3027 macrumors newbie

Had Same Problem not found during warranty

I bought a refurbish Macbook Pro 18 months ago, after 11 months it started shutting down on randomly, I managed to get it to an authorised dealer with days to spare. They took it away and came back saying it was the battery. AND that Apple dont replace batteries, so muggins here bought a replacement battery for £100 ($200 approx) and was give 90 day warranty on the fix.
    4 months pass and the same problem occurs, this time I have to pay £55 ($100 approx) for them to look at it, and guess what they have found a problem with the Logic board and will cost me £900 ($1800 approx) to fix!!! Why they didnt find it the first time I dont know.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Pete

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you can dig up the repair receipts, you can try to argue that they didn't diagnose the issue correctly.

17. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Really? My boss has a Rev. A (Core Duo) MacBook Pro, 2.0GHz, and it's still going strong. The only damages that's happened to it are user-inflicted (he's not very careful:eek:)

18. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

if it's still in repair when October 14th rolls around, call and ask for a replacement MBP. :)

19. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

20. pete3027 macrumors newbie

attention - e12a

Hi
    This is may be a dumb question, but you say "if it's still in repair when October 14th rolls around, call and ask for a replacement MBP", what is happening then".
    Cheers

21. minicoop503 macrumors regular

Just an FYI, the 'logic board' is the same thing as a 'mother board'.