Had to buy early. What are my chances

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pur3h8r3d, Oct 7, 2007.

1. pur3h8r3d macrumors member

pur3h8r3d

Hey guys. This is my first post and first Mac. I just ordered a Macbook Pro for my digital photography. Due to a upcoming job I had to order early (Oct 2nd) in order to make sure I had it in time for the job. I had originally planned to wait for leopard to come out. I know nobody knows this yet but what do you think my chances are of being able to upgrade or get a copy of leopard for a discounted price or even free because I ordered right before it came out. I know a lot of PC people were able to get free upgrades to vista if they bought a PC right before it came out. Any info would be great. Thanks guys

2. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Not good. Leopard could come out tomorrow and you wouldn't get it for free, or even a discount.

The only way you could get it is if it was within your 14 day return policy, in which you'd have to return yours, pay the 10% restocking fee, and buy a new MBP w/Leopard. Sorry, but Apple never allows for the upgrade thing.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

All depends on when it shipped, if Leopard is announced before you receive the machine -- you have a chance.

If you get the machine before the announcement, it'll be case by case with the phone reps.

More than likely the chances of hopping on the Mac OS X Up-to-date program drop the closer you get to the end of the 14-day return window.

Still a chance you can get a nice helpful rep, though typically the program is designed to work from the date of the announcement forward.

---

And if you need the machine, and have more than one, the Family Pack should be welcome along with a full copy of the OS instead of the Upgrade version.

4. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Back before OS X, I do remember Apple offering some of us free updates if they released a new version of the Mac OS within 90 days. I took them up on that a couple of times. Well, it wasn't a free update, but something like $19.99.

It was called Mac OS Up To Date.

And, it worked just like that. If you purchased a new computer, and Apple released a new version of the Mac OS within 90 days, you could get an update.

But, the only ones I've seen since OS X was released have required that you purchase a new machine after the new OS version was released in order to get a reduced price update. Usually for around $19.99. And, I think this program is also called Mac OS Up To Date.

So, basically, while it used to be offered as a means of providing a little future protection, it is now offered as a means of softening the blow if you purchase a machine that was boxed before the new OS version was available but then sold after it was available.

In that instance, it really should be free. But, Apple charges for the update if you purchase a machine after the new OS version is released that came with the old version. This offer is only for people who purchase a new computer with the older OS version within 90 days of the release of the new OS version.

So, to sum it up, your odds are not very good. You'll have to pay full retail to get the new Leopard version.

I hope this helps.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yeah? then what do you call apple giving people copies of ilife 08 for $9.99 if they just purchased a mac with in the last 1-2 weeks prior to release???

op, I'd say your chances are about 50%

6. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Have they done this with their operating system? Maybe they did with Tiger, I'm just not aware of it? All I heard was that people who had even bought it like 8 days before Tiger still had to pay retail...

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

They offered Panther and Tiger Up-To-Date programs. With both of these anyone who purchased a new Mac after the shipping date was announced got upgrades for the cost of shipping ($20 for Panther, $10 for Tiger for some reason). If you bought before the shipping date was announced, no matter how close, you were out of luck. These Up-To-Date programs were announced and on the Apple website as soon as the shipping date was announced.

As the shipping date for Leopard has yet to be announced it would seem that the OP has close to zero chance of a reduced cost upgrade.

8. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Exactly, that's what I meant, the bit about the shipping date. Should have clarified myself a bit. Either way, he can't get it since he already bought the machine and they haven't announced a date yet.

9. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i still say 50% since he bought during the month of release, i coulda sword someone said something about their being a one month window for tiger, but i have no evidence to back that up, i jumped to mac near the end of the tiger era i know nothing about prior releases, only second hand stories

10. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

No, probably that it was announced a few weeks before Tiger was released, so it still fell under the whole "it was announced so you get the upgrade price" deal.

I love that you have self-admittedly only gotten a Mac and followed the whole scene for maybe a year, but you're offering up all this advice ;) So, basically, you're just giving us your opinion on what you THINK the upgrade policy should be? :p

11. theman macrumors 6502a

If you're lucky, you'll get a yellow screened MBP, and then you can return it and get leopard with the replacement.

12. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Lol! Or that's another way to think about it :)

13. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

im a fast learner

and spend most of the day on this forum, and several other mac sites :p

im amazed myself at how much ive learned about apple and the mac world in the past year