Had to downgrade

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by stooovie, Oct 19, 2013.

  1. stooovie macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2010
    #1
    I had way too many beachballs, little pauses and hiccups. I use my computer to actually do stuff instead of staring at smoothness of scrolling in Safari. I had Adobe Qtkit hanging, FCPX beach balling and crashing, audio apps freezing... After Effects CC doesn't run on 10.9 at all. I had none of these issues on 10.8.5.

    I know this may be just related to an insulated issue on my machine, but since upgrading is the official supported way to install Mavs, it didn't work out for me. And I tend to run pretty clean machine. Please don't tell me to repair permissions and stuff, I actually write printed books about ios and osx for a major publisher and know my way around Apple stuff.

    This is just a little reminder for anyone who would like to upgrade on production machine. Don't yet.
     
  2. Daniel L macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2009
  3. Bear macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Sol III - Terra
    #3
    Good advice for a lot of people. Not everyone is running the same software and hardware setup so experiences in upgrading will differ.

    Look at the iPhoto and Aperture issues due to the Aperture update not being available yet.

    What if you use a piece of hardware where the device driver isn't quite ready for Mavericks yet?

    I don't run that many pieces of software, but I will check what has Mavericks updates and such before I upgrade to Mavericks.
     
  4. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

    N19h7m4r3

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2012
    #4
    App Nap, and that CPU Timer Coalescing might be the main culprits.

    I turned off App Nap for FCP X which would kill the GPU rendering if you left it to do its job, and Timer Coalescing would constantly cause issues with freezing, beach balling and cpu drops to 0% usage.


    Apple need to sort this stuff out, as each time an error happened I'd get a black screen on my rendered work in FCP X, and Screenflow. It's extremely annoying.


    Apple's defence would most likely be that FCPX is getting a new version, and that other Devs need to update their apps. All which is true, but not good either.

    It seems most of the features in Mavericks is aimed at their MacBook market, which is cool and all, but it's not great for their Workstations.
     
  5. josh.b macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2013
    #5
    I didn't realise professionals upgraded straight away because of these teething issues. Always stick to the stable OS mate. Wait for .2 update before considering mavericks :)
     
  6. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

    N19h7m4r3

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2012
    #6
    yah! It's the reason I still have my HDD with 10.8.5 on it, I just boot to that when I have issues.
     
  7. josh.b macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2013
    #7
    :) Also the fact of waiting for 3rd parties to catch up. Adobe are kind of slack they have had the dev for months and AE doesn't even open yet. They better hurry since they said AE12.1 "it will be released before mavericks".
     
  8. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

    N19h7m4r3

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2012
    #8
    That's true, Telestream haven't even announced support for mavericks with any of their software, and I think Apple's cop-out is saying wait for the new FCPX.

    Apple did ask debs to start updating their applications though, and so far very few have.

    The only software updates I've really gotten was from Pixelmator, and Apple so far. I'm hoping 10.9 gets a lot of updates shortly after 10.9 launches.

    The openGL update to 4.1 is amazing and I'd rather not have to sit around with 10.8.5 for too long.
     
  9. josh.b macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2013
    #9
    yep, I agree. The performance gains in Mavericks are too good to ignore for too long. Hope once it hits publicly, the slower developers get the acts together.
     
  10. stooovie thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2010
    #10
    I did a clean reinstall. Had some cruft anyways.

    ----------

    Yep, I made a mistake :)

    ----------

    Yep, I did turn it off for my content creation apps but it didn't help.
     
  11. N19h7m4r3 macrumors 65816

    N19h7m4r3

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2012
    #11
    Is it possible to turn of timer coalescence as well?
     
  12. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2011
    #12
    Yeah, I made the same mistake with ml when it was released... I've upgraded my notebooks but my desktop will be staying on 10.8.5 for awhile... Ironic considering that it's going to benefit the most from the multi monitor support.
     
  13. josh.b macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2013
    #13
     
  14. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

    ssls6

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2013
    #14
    I'm doing the same. My Mac Pro is very stable now with 10.8.5, my MBA will go Mavericks.
     
  15. stooovie thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2010
    #15
    Had to downgrade

    Yeah. This is exactly what I would do now with those two machines. I think Mavs is amazing for office/normal use. Especially on laptops. For production use, not yet.
     
  16. James Craner macrumors 68000

    James Craner

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2002
    Location:
    Bristol, UK
    #16
    Plus er Mavericks is not even released yet. Only crazy people put development software on production machines :). Yes I know current development release is meant to be GM, but until it's officially released it will take a while for all 3rd Parties to update their software to support it.
     

Share This Page