Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KadMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
I was let down when I found that I had to reformat my MBP 13" after 6 months of use. I also had Bootcamp installed but I found that my MBP would take a long time to boot into OSX and when I did, I had a lot of spinning beach balls. Even my Bootcamp began giving me errors. After using the utilities to find out what the health issues were, I found that my repairs to the hard drive were unsuccessful and I had to reformat.

Mind you I had a time machine back up, but I was frustrated that after just six months of owning the MBP I had to reformat. It brought back memories of dealing with Windows. I mean, if I have to do this again in 6 months, I mine as well use Windows since I basically did the same thing then too. (And it was cheaper!)

Have any of you mac users encountered this too? Was I just doing something wrong?

Edit: I must admit it was a whole lot easier getting back up and running with my mac in comparison with windows after a reformat. Time machine really helped out.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
I was let down when I found that I had to reformat my MBP 13" after 6 months of use. I also had Bootcamp installed but I found that my MBP would take a long time to boot into OSX and when I did, I had a lot of spinning beach balls. Even my Bootcamp began giving me errors. After using the utilities to find out what the health issues were, I found that my repairs to the hard drive were unsuccessful and I had to reformat.

Mind you I had a time machine back up, but I was frustrated that after just six months of owning the MBP I had to reformat. It brought back memories of dealing with Windows. I mean, if I have to do this again in 6 months, I mine as well use Windows since I basically did the same thing then too. (And it was cheaper!)

Have any of you mac users encountered this too? Was I just doing something wrong?

Edit: I must admit it was a whole lot easier getting back up and running with my mac in comparison with windows after a reformat. Time machine really helped out.

Nope i have never HAD to reformat. i have changed hard drives a few times. setting up HD/reformating is 100 times easier on a mac vs windoze.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
2 1/2 years on my current MBP:
  • Never had a kernel panic.
  • Never had to reinstall or reformat.
  • Never had to repair permissions.
  • Never had any problems with slowness, beachballs, apps repeatedly crashing, flash movies, etc.
  • Zero problems.
Of course, I never used Boot Camp and don't try running Windows garbage on my Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.