Had to stop using my iPhone 6 due to battery issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by avanpelt, Jan 22, 2017.

1. avanpelt macrumors 68030

I had planned on skipping the iPhone 7 entirely, but the battery issues on my iPhone 6 got worse this past week prompting me to buy a new iPhone.

For the better part of the past year and a half, my iPhone 6 would, from time to time, have substantial battery drain within a few minutes while the phone was either idle or while I was doing something trivial like typing an e-mail in Mail.app or browsing the web in Safari. Usually, the phone would drop about 10-15% within about two minutes -- sometimes sooner. It didn't happen everyday or even every week -- maybe two or three times per month. As soon as I plugged the phone in, the battery charge would jump up 10 to 12 percent.

On two different occasions this past week, the phone dropped immediately from 80-90% to 1% and then proceeded to power off. As soon as the phone was plugged back in, it turned on and registered the charge as being within a percentage point or two of what it had been when the phone suddenly dropped to 1%.

I don't feel right about selling the iPhone 6 to another person given the battery issues. My plan is to trade the phone in with Apple in exchange for an Apple Store gift card. This is the first iPhone I've had that's had this problem; and I've had iPhones going back to the iPhone 3G in 2009. I'm annoyed that Apple has yet to acknowledge an issue with iPhone 6 batteries. The behavior I experienced recently seems to fit what some iPhone 6s users have been seeing that prompted Apple to start the replacement program.

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Why didn't you make an appointment with the Genius Bar during the last 1.5 years?

3. avanpelt thread starter macrumors 68030

I had a Genius Bar appointment about an unrelated issue with the phone three or four months ago. They did a diagnostic on the phone and, like many others have also experienced, they said the battery was fine. I was content to hang onto the phone until the next iPhone is released later this year; but I can't risk having a phone that randomly goes from 85% to 1% in a matter of a few seconds, as it did twice within four days.

4. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

The 6 is an older model, could it not just be the battery dying? You didn't say when you purchased it but if I still have my 7 after 2 model releases I fully expect to pay for a new battery.

5. avanpelt thread starter macrumors 68030

Now that I look on Apple's site, I see that the out-of-warranty cost for battery replacement is $79. That's not bad. I was under the impression that the cost was much higher.

Now to decide whether to send the 7 back or not.

6. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

Yeah I also have the iPhone 6 and after using it for 2 years, the battery was ****. I bought a new battery for $80 and it's like new again. No point in buying a whole new phone

7. dvoros macrumors 6502

My wife's phone did the same thing. The Apple Store employee said that after so many charging uses over a period of time that the battery will no longer keep a charge. Result is either new battery or new phone.

8. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

If the 1gb ram on the 6 is adequate for you, return the 7, replace the battery on the 6 and see what Apple reveals in Sept.

Worst that can happen is the 7 will probably drop $100 and you can buy that if the new phone doesn't impress.

9. redrog macrumors 6502

redrog

I've had this problem where the battery meter would suddenly dip, or rise when it was plugged in, or worse still shut off without warning. The Genius Bar tested the battery and said it was fine. I tried a restore as a new phone and it was worse. Ive been really cheesed off because I want to make it to the next cycle.

However, strange thing. The battery really went bad the other day when it dropped about 30% in 30mins. I looked at the battery usage and it reported that MyFitnessPal had used 41% in the background in the previous 24hrs. This is despite the background refresh being turned off in the app and me not using it at all. So anyway, I deleted it.

Since then, after months of issues the phone seems to be behaving again. *touches wood*

I guess Apple doesn't want me to lose weight :)

10. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I paid $80 to have Apple replace my battery. It took 30 minutes and my 6 Plus lasts almost 2 days now. I'm not updating to iOS 10.2 so I should be able to get another 2 years out of this phone.