Haggling in the UK?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thegreatest21, Jul 12, 2007.

1. thegreatest21 macrumors newbie

I'm completely new to Mac, and going to be purchasing my first in September/October. I was just wondering has anyone tried to haggle/bargain/negotiate on the price of Apple laptops?

The reason I ask is because I am a Student in University and aside from the Higher Edu discounts, which I am aware of, I am thinking about maybe trying to haggle for a MacBook Black C2D to see if I can get a bit more off the price. The worse they can say is "No"...Right?

BUT

Has anyone else tried?

:confused:.aka{theGreatest}:confused:

2. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

I wouldn't risk the embarrassment, especially with the Higher Education discount and the choice of the black Macbook.
    You're already paying ~18% less but if you're that cash-strapped, why are you looking at the one model that costs extra for the finish?

3. ViM macrumors regular

I don't think it would work at an actual Apple Store but at small retailers I guess it could work. Good luck if you try to haggle :)

4. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

If your buying a few extra things at the same time you have a decent chance.

To be honest, buy an iMac instead of a laptop, they like going walkies at Uni.

5. Igantius macrumors 65816

Not a chance.

A few years ago, the profit margin in the UK on a new iMac was roughly £75 and was similarly tight on other products. Things haven't changed drastically since then and resellers make their money on extras like training, so you'll get absolutely no joy there.

Similarly, Apple ain't gonna drop its prices for you - keep in mind you get a free 3 year warranty with the HE Store.

6. gavd macrumors 6502a

You're going to have any joy with this buying directly from Apple, and it doesn't make any difference if anyone other than Apple would drop the price by a bit because they won't offer the education price.

7. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

If money is really tight go with a refurb unit, I see prices are currently up to 31% off on MacBooks.

8. automatic macrumors newbie

just do it!

Can't see why everyone seems to think that you have to be short on cash to haggle. Being a bit cheap might help, for sure, but for me it is a question of getting as much as possible for your money, or in other words paying as little as possible for what you want, so it is definitely worth a try to haggle a bit, chances are though that you won't be successful, but at least you tried. All companies, including Apple, is out to get the most out you, so why shouldn't you try to get the most out of them?

It might be a bit embarrassing too, but well worth it those times when you get lucky and it definitely isn't something that the sales persons haven't seen before, just do it politely and you might be amazed by the results!

A hot tip is to not ask for direct cash discount but to ask for some kind of paraphernalia to be included instead; a wireless mouse (I got one just by asking at my local shop when getting my MBP), a sleeve or something else in the same price range, after all giving you 50 quid worth off stuff is going to cost the shop less than a 50 quid discount would, but leaves you equally well off, if it is something you want, as you would most likely get that thing anyway later on.

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

It's always worth asking. You might get a bit knocked off the price, or you might get an extra thrown in free - maybe a BT MM or something. If you're comfortable with asking for a better deal, do it :)

10. ScottDrummer macrumors 6502

no chance if you order via phone, i tried, they basically ignore you