Haggling with Apple for free extras?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Olivier81, May 30, 2009.

1. Olivier81 macrumors member

Hi,
    Im a student in the UK and am about to buy a macbook with the back to school deal. I have been told however that if you save a basket on the apple store you get rung (not sure when) by a call centre in Ireland asking you if you want to proceed with the order...

Apparently if you say youve seen a better deal elsewhere they offer sweetners such as money off + free iwork...
    Is this true and has anyone done it?

2. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I struggle to see how you'd find a better deal than a discounted Mac plus a rebate on an iPod touch, AppleCare discount, 15 pounds off iWork and MobileMe... and £60 off a printer. That's like maybe £400-500 in potential savings. Good luck trying though.

3. Aboo macrumors 6502a

I agree with the previous poster - its one thing if Apple weren't offering any other discounts for students, but you are already getting a tremendous deal through UK HE store, plus you are getting a free ipod touch (which you could easily sell on ebay), and you are also getting a free printer (which again, you could easily sell). So technically you are getting an extremely big discount on the product.

4. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Try it and see what happens and then let us know.

5. PaperMacWriter macrumors 6502

PaperMacWriter

I would imagine they would want to know where you would find a better deal... probably nowhere.
    SG :apple:

6. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

if you ring them up they sometimes have extra things that they can give you,but tbh the HE deal is about as sweet as it gets anyway so they are unlikely to offer any more unless there is or has been an issue with an order.

When my mac pro arrived broken and they took months to fix the problem, apple customer service offered me over £800 in cash and products as agesture of good will.

7. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Tell them it's retarded to have to buy a VGA adapter just because they want to use a new and under used mini display port connection. See if they help out on the cable.

Worth a shot. :p

8. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

This did actually happen to me a few years back. When the Mac Pro's came out, we spec'd on up but because we have to get our money from a trust, we had to do mock spec up to be sent off.

It was saved as a basket and 4 days later, a Senior Sales Exec emailed us stating he could offer us a better price if we contact him. So we followed up, he asked if I was a student, which I was, and he gave me HE discount when I wasn't actually entitled to it.

I cant remember how much we actually saved but it was ~£1K off the price. I guess it depends on the size of your order and how long it is sat there.

Good luck