Haggling

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JWFerne, Sep 22, 2009.

1. JWFerne macrumors regular

Ok, so I bought my last iMac about 3-4 months ago over the phone with Apple. The saleswoman was very nice and she actually let me haggle a bit on the price. I ended up saving like 14% due to price matching and lack of tax.

The question i have for you guys, do you think they would do this in the apple store? I want to get a Macbook Pro today/tomorrow, but paying retail + tax seems foolish when I can get one on Amazon for $150 cheaper and no tax... so a large savings. I also like buying in the store, cause it lets me feel all geeky inside.

I've also found someone on Craigslist who's selling a new one for about $400 less than apple + no taxes, but I'm leery of street trades.

Any thoughts or experiences on in-store haggling?

2. nateharr macrumors 6502

You might be able to ask about price matching and similar offers. You will, however, look like an idiot if you walk into Apple and say,"$1199 for the Macbook Pro huh? How about I pay you $999 and we forget about the tax."

Seriously. The sell at MSRP and that's it.

3. S-Man macrumors regular

S-Man

LoL! Apple will laugh in your face and throw feces at you if you try to haggle.
    That's why I buy everything online.
    I actually lucked out with mine. I purchased a pre-unibody on Amazon back in Feb. Used it for two days and it went out. A week and a half at the Apple store and they concluded it was not cost efficient to repair. (they had replaced the screen, logic board, and a bunch of other stuff to no avail)
    Long story short, I got a brand new UMBP with better specs than the one I got from Amazon. I'd rather not tell how much I paid on Amazon, but it was a ridiculous deal considering I got a new UMBP.

Buy online.

4. JWFerne thread starter macrumors regular

5. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Up to sept 8th was a great time to buy from Apple AND get $150 off. The free ipod deal... I bought 2 macs, got 2 free ipods, dumped them on CL to the first $150 that showed up (same day sales for both ipods). Bam!

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Haggling at the Apple Store? I don't see how you managed to do that.