Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enroh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
so picked up the base Retina iMac and it thinks is has dual screens. *sigh*
reinstall time...see what happens next. Anyone out there have this issue with a new iMac?:eek:

Should also add that on first boot the resolution was whack!

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
so picked up the base Retina iMac and it thinks is has dual screens. *sigh*
reinstall time...see what happens next. Anyone out there have this issue with a new iMac?:eek:

How did you decide that your new iMac "thinks it has dual screens"?

Did you import files and settings from an older Mac?

enroh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
How did you decide that your new iMac "thinks it has dual screens"?

Did you import files and settings from an older Mac?

I didnt decide, Display preferences told me so. Either way on some reading apparently there are a few things I can try..I did not import anything.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Just curious - What did your Display pane tell you?
(I don't have an audible output from the Displays pane on my Mac. :D )

Can you post a screen shot?
Have you tried a PRAM reset?

enroh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Just curious - What did your Display pane tell you?
(I don't have an audible output from the Displays pane on my Mac. :D )

Can you post a screen shot?
Have you tried a PRAM reset?

It told me this isnt the resolution I am looking for. *lol*
In all seriousness perhaps I could have taken a screen shot but I decided to just reinstall since when trying to reset the PRAM it gave me the disk utility instead (damn fingers)

enroh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Picture

20141108_200303501_iOS.jpg

still looks wonky

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That's just a tiny window in the middle of the screen?
Should be full screen at that point...
I don't think that you need to be concerned at the time of an OS X reinstall, while that's still in progress.
Anyway, you are reinstalling, so double-check the settings AFTER the install has completed. The display settings SHOULD be Best for Display, and not "Scaled"

You should really do a PRAM reset, if that hasn't been done yet.
Perhaps it's really not your "fingers", but that there is some problem with the keyboard (which could explain some other problems)
Remember that after performing a PRAM reset, the Startup Disk needs to be set again (PRAM reset will clear that setting, among others)

enroh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
That's just a tiny window in the middle of the screen?
Should be full screen at that point...
I don't think that you need to be concerned at the time of an OS X reinstall, while that's still in progress.
Anyway, you are reinstalling, so double-check the settings AFTER the install has completed. The display settings SHOULD be Best for Display, and not "Scaled"

You should really do a PRAM reset, if that hasn't been done yet.
Perhaps it's really not your "fingers", but that there is some problem with the keyboard (which could explain some other problems)
Remember that after performing a PRAM reset, the Startup Disk needs to be set again (PRAM reset will clear that setting, among others)

PRAM reset (had to connect a windows usb keyboard to get around possible wireless issue) didnt work and gave me the same ugly screen

I checked the system info panel and it had 2 retina screens in it. (go figure) so I have rebooted and erased the partition completely and reinstalling again so there should be no legacy crap.

The screen on my install window is still the wonky stretched version though.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2008
UK
It it's not a daft question, why are you even attempting a re-install of the OS to fix a display resolution problem?
This is a brand new machine, no more than a couple of weeks old.
I would get a replacement from Apple, something is definitely wrong with it.

enroh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
It it's not a daft question, why are you even attempting a re-install of the OS to fix a display resolution problem?
This is a brand new machine, no more than a couple of weeks old.
I would get a replacement from Apple, something is definitely wrong with it.

attempting a reinstall in case it is software. if its not fixed with a clean install then back it goes for exchange.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I'm not convinced that you have a real problem.
If you could provide a screenshot - particularly the System Information showing that there's two screens registered by the system.
Graphics & Displays tab should show information about the graphics card, and also information about the display. That's actually two separate items, so is that what you see? Or, does the tab ALSO show information for a second display?
Or, a picture of the display after you change the settings in Displays pane? (Best for Display!!!), and then restart to see if that setting holds.

And, your next step should be to call AppleCare. They should be able to walk you through some steps. Tell them about the reinstall, and what your screens look like. Tell them that you tried a PRAM reset (it may not have HELPED you, but it did, in fact, give you another item to tell AppleCare)

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
Freaky. Time to call Apple without a doubt.

You should probably point them to this thread otherwise it'll take an age to explain.

enroh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
I've got the yet to be unreleased iMac with dual video chips but only one retina screen I guess. Applecare will have to wait until tomorrow though as dinner date with the gf awaits...

I will say that when trying to reset the pram it didn't ask for a startup disk on boot

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I've got the yet to be unreleased iMac with dual video chips but only one retina screen I guess. Applecare will have to wait until tomorrow though as dinner date with the gf awaits...

I will say that when trying to reset the pram it didn't ask for a startup disk on boot

No, it won't ask you to locate the startup disk - but you do need to go in to the Startup Disk pref pane and make sure that your boot drive is selected. It will make a reboot much faster.

You appear to have two portrait displays, like the display is turned on its side.
Just curious - what happens on the screen when you check the "Mirror Displays" box in the Arrangements tab?

Right - time to get Apple involved. Call AppleCare.

enroh

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
No, it won't ask you to locate the startup disk - but you do need to go in to the Startup Disk pref pane and make sure that your boot drive is selected. It will make a reboot much faster.

You appear to have two portrait displays, like the display is turned on its side.
Just curious - what happens on the screen when you check the "Mirror Displays" box in the Arrangements tab?

Right - time to get Apple involved. Call AppleCare.

yeah i cant get this thing to boot from a keyboard shortcut - not my wireless Apple one or wired Windows one. I downloaded and created a bootable USB installer and that wont show up in startup disk...moot since i cannot boot from it either.
deleted windowsplist prefs...no dice. Tried SwitchResX to disable the other screen hoping that would enable all the proper res modes. No dice there either - it sees two "physical" retina displays connected
On hold w/AppleCare see if they have any ideas, if not then back to BB for exchange I guess. Bright side its only 20 mins there and back.

*edit* - returned. None in stock for exchange. *sigh*

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.