HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by UBS28, Oct 27, 2016.

1. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

In order to use the new Retina Macbook Pro, I have to buy 4 x USB C --> USB adapters? This is no macbook Pro since my Access Virus TI or high-end DAC's are not compatible out of the box with this laptop.

This is even a bigger joke than removing the headphone jack from the iPhone 7.

2. jerryk macrumors 68030

4 cables if you need all 4. But USB-C is the future. And not just for Apple, but for every computer. Dell has had USB-C in its units for 2 years, and sells USB-C docks. HP uses USB-C in it cool Spectre. And Android phones have had USB-C connectors for 2 years. Even my Samsung T-3 portable SSD comes with a USB-C port.

It is time for the all peripheral makers to move to USB-C so we can get the speed, power, and only one port type needed advantages of USB-C.

3. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Um, no. You need to buy four USB to USB-C cables, which are cheap. Or you can buy one hub, which I already own since I have the rMB, and you're set. It's the new standard man. Accept it.

4. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

The change to USB-C doesn't affect me as much, as the only USB devices I use with any sort of regularity are my iPhone and portable hard drive. But just out of curiosity, if I get one USB-C adapter, can I connect it to a plain old USB hub and get several USB-A ports?

5. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

No... this is silly. Use the USB hub you already have -- since the current MBP does not have 4 USB ports to plug in your 4 devices -- and buy 1 USB-C to USB-A dongle for $6. Done.

Don't forget the DB-25 dongle for your printer too.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 27, 2016 ---
    Absolutely!

6. Fife321 macrumors newbie

Ok, I'm slow here. So, you WOULD be able to use an old USB hub if you connected it to USB-C to USB-A dongle? in my case, buy both the hub and the dongle and you're good to go?

7. UBS28 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wonder how Steve jobs would have looked at this considering that Apple laptops now have to be used with adapters and docks sticking out of their laptops.

8. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Yes
    --- Post Merged, Oct 27, 2016 ---
    Oh stop with this. There is no difference between this device and any other forward-thinking Apple product.

9. jerryk, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016

jerryk macrumors 68030

Yes, but all you need is a USB-C to USB-A (hopefully supporting 3.0 for speed) cable. They are around $7 on Amazon.

And if you want you can get a dock, that will connect let you connect to your 3 or 4 of your USB-A devices, a monitor via TB-3, and charge your new MacBook Pro, all with one USB-C cable.

10. Macalway, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016

Macalway macrumors 68020

Also, it's unclear as to whether these adapters are 100%. Trust me, I own the MBr and the dongles are not all 'there'. They are hacks. Decent, but not 100%. Compound this with the prevalence of fakes, and cheap substandard knockoffs (well, you've been there)

My own concern is with the thunderbolt adapter. 'have adapter, will suffer', maybe the motto here. (I'm really talking myself out of a purchase :D ). Best to just stick with what you have and wait for all the other suckers to suffer though this mess.

The future. Fine, i'll buy one then :D

11. jerryk macrumors 68030

My guess he would be happy. He always struck me as a future looking guy.

But, I suspect he would be unhappy that the iPhone 7/7+ still have the lightning port, instead of USB-C

12. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

13. jerryk macrumors 68030

Agreed about some bad ones out there. Apple is start a campaign to get rid of them. They just called out Amazon on all the fake Apple stuff out there.

14. Savor Suspended

Savor

LOL

Yup. Not just removing USB-A, but also removed the SD slot, MagSafe, and glowing Apple logo. The SD slot is probably the second most important feature that Apple omitted. A standard SD sticks put but you can always buy a $60 128gb SD card that doesn't protrude. And I would use the SD card just for some transfers as I also have adaptors from it from buying microSD cards.

I knew threads like this would happen once it was officially announced because all I read with these "Mac rumors" over a month ago was backwards thinking and definitely worse than removal of the headphone for iPhones. Apple computers start to become less useful as smartphones and tablets by removing so much of industry standards.

15. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I think USB-C is the way of the future and I'm fine with it. BUT...why the heck do the iPhones have Lighting for earphones? But then no lighting plug on the MBP to use them in??? Why not just make them USB-C also? And then you can set the standard across your products. Agree the SD Slot removal is a huge bummer though. I'm sticking w/ my 2015 MBP for a while until this all gets sorted.

16. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

17. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

The future is wireless and USB-C is a great plug.

Universal, small, sturdy, interchangeable, and supports Thunderbolt 3 which can turn to pretty much anything you want from FireWire, to USB 3.0, to Ethernet, to a Dock. It also charges your laptop.

Welcome to the future.

18. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

apart from the price.

all this for an extra gimmicky touch bar? They have lost their way.

19. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

One adaptor + USB hub seems a more reasonable choice.