iPad "Hair" on iPad Air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mcmul, Dec 27, 2013.

1. mcmul macrumors 6502

Please refer to the photograph attached. The section highlighted shows a hair-like "thing" on the iPad Air. I have tried rubbing it off to no success. Could someone confirm what it is? It's starting to irritate me.

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not seeing it, but if if you do, and it bothers you, then exchange the iPad

3. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

That looks like a small piece of lint. Like Maflynn said, if it bothers you get it exchanged.

5. JackieInCo macrumors 601

6. mcmul thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you really not see it? Try moving the picture around you screen and focus your eyes on the centre of the rectangle. How does dust get under the screen?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope I can't, it gets there during the assembly. While they try to be dust free as possible sometimes a spec of dust does.

There's nothing you can do about it, other then living with it, or exchanging it.

8. luckylisp macrumors 6502

Looks like a small piece of lint. I'd exchange it.

9. mcmul thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh OK, fair enough. It is actually my wife's iPad and I just happen to be using it tonight. I imagine it doesn't bother her at all so we probably won't exchange it. Otherwise I am thoroughly impressed with the Air. Awesome piece of kit.

10. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

It's actually easy to see it in your photo. I would personally get it exchanged. It would drive me crazy. Probably lint or a micro hair from the assembly line.

11. quamsi macrumors regular

Just don't show her or she'll never be able to unsee it. :D

12. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I see it.

There are YouTube videos of tablet factories. Foxconn's operation looks pretty clean, but others look awfully casual. Getting a little piece of lint like that is bound to happen every now and then, but it would make me goofy.

13. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Since you put it in quotes, I thought you were referring to watching the musical of that name on an iPad.

Silly me...:eek:

;):D

14. calvol macrumors 6502a

It's a new feature... you got the H model Air. ;)

15. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

Its unfortunate that it's there. Time to return it.

16. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

17. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Yeah, but what if this is Tim Cook's hair dropped when he was visiting production factory? BOOM! A $1M auction item. :D

18. KhunJay macrumors regular

KhunJay

I see it...jeez, what the hell is going on in foxconn?

19. mcmul thread starter macrumors 6502

So despite her not really caring about the spec of dust... I decided to exchange it this morning. The new one is perfect. Cheers!

20. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I suggest taking the iPad to Great Clips, and get them to trim up your device.

21. Closingracer macrumors 68000

Considering most phones are made in the same area ... Apple products that I ever owned (except my iPhone 4 ) always had Dust under the screen. The same can't be said for the Samsung phones that I have owned. I have owned the Samsung galaxy s2 skyrocket , s3, and S4 and none have dust under the screen. I mean honestly the best way t solve this problem is to simply Fuse the screen to the glass and as long as there wasn't dust under the glass when they fuse it should be fine

22. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I always order multiple units from Apple just because of these kind of issues -- dust under the glass or pixel issues. In fact, i just ordered 3 refurb iPads the other day and they arrived yesterday. First one had a huge chunk of dust under the glass visible in casual use. Second one had horrible screen bleeding. Third one was a charm - perfect. I have done this probably six times over the years since 2010. Never had any quality control issues before then. If Apple isn't able to do throrough quality control, I'll do it for them until I get a satisfactory item.

23. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I think "Hair" is available on iTunes so yes, you can have "Hair" on your iPad. Great movie from the old Kollidge days. ;)