iPad "Hair" on iPad Air

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Please refer to the photograph attached. The section highlighted shows a hair-like "thing" on the iPad Air. I have tried rubbing it off to no success. Could someone confirm what it is? It's starting to irritate me.

Attachments

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
That looks like a small piece of lint. Like Maflynn said, if it bothers you get it exchanged.

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Can you really not see it? Try moving the picture around you screen and focus your eyes on the centre of the rectangle. How does dust get under the screen?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Can you really not see it? Try moving the picture around you screen and focus your eyes on the centre of the rectangle. How does dust get under the screen?
Nope I can't, it gets there during the assembly. While they try to be dust free as possible sometimes a spec of dust does.

There's nothing you can do about it, other then living with it, or exchanging it.

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
Nope I can't, it gets there during the assembly. While they try to be dust free as possible sometimes a spec of dust does.

There's nothing you can do about it, other then living with it, or exchanging it.
Oh OK, fair enough. It is actually my wife's iPad and I just happen to be using it tonight. I imagine it doesn't bother her at all so we probably won't exchange it. Otherwise I am thoroughly impressed with the Air. Awesome piece of kit.

Defender2010

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2010
England
Oh OK, fair enough. It is actually my wife's iPad and I just happen to be using it tonight. I imagine it doesn't bother her at all so we probably won't exchange it. Otherwise I am thoroughly impressed with the Air. Awesome piece of kit.
It's actually easy to see it in your photo. I would personally get it exchanged. It would drive me crazy. Probably lint or a micro hair from the assembly line.

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
I see it.

There are YouTube videos of tablet factories. Foxconn's operation looks pretty clean, but others look awfully casual. Getting a little piece of lint like that is bound to happen every now and then, but it would make me goofy.

samiznaetekto

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Yeah, but what if this is Tim Cook's hair dropped when he was visiting production factory? BOOM! A $1M auction item. :D

mcmul

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
So despite her not really caring about the spec of dust... I decided to exchange it this morning. The new one is perfect. Cheers!

Closingracer

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2010

Considering most phones are made in the same area ... Apple products that I ever owned (except my iPhone 4 ) always had Dust under the screen. The same can't be said for the Samsung phones that I have owned. I have owned the Samsung galaxy s2 skyrocket , s3, and S4 and none have dust under the screen. I mean honestly the best way t solve this problem is to simply Fuse the screen to the glass and as long as there wasn't dust under the glass when they fuse it should be fine

myrtlebee

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I always order multiple units from Apple just because of these kind of issues -- dust under the glass or pixel issues. In fact, i just ordered 3 refurb iPads the other day and they arrived yesterday. First one had a huge chunk of dust under the glass visible in casual use. Second one had horrible screen bleeding. Third one was a charm - perfect. I have done this probably six times over the years since 2010. Never had any quality control issues before then. If Apple isn't able to do throrough quality control, I'll do it for them until I get a satisfactory item.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.