Hairline crack iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dogplus12, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Dogplus12 macrumors newbie

I got this hairline crack on my iPhone 6 and I dont now if I should just get a new screen or if Apple can replace it

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. Zenton macrumors member

They won't replace it free of charge.

Use it for a few days and see how you feel about it. Does it bother you? Can you see it clearly? Are you willing to spend x dollars to get a replacement?

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Is the cracked screen caused due to the dropping of the phone? Or did it just automatically appear? I would still take it to your local apple store and have the genius take a look. If Genius sees that there is no physical damage surrounding the cracks (i.e dents, scratches, around it), then they will likely replace the screen for you under warranty since it would be considered a manufacture defect.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

That is not so. Apple will replace the screen or phone if the is no sign of impact damage at no charge.

6. Ashtar macrumors regular

Not true. Check the iPhone warranty details...hairline cracks on the screen are cover under the standard one year warranty. So, it will be free of charge.

7. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Standard one year warranty are for malfunctioning hardware (defects in materials and workmanship) NOT drops, if that occurred. AppleCare Plus covers drops and spills. If its a manufacture issue than its covered, but a crack is most likely a drop or he/she hit the phone on something.

"This Warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as batteries or protective coatings that are designed to diminish over time, unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage caused by use with another product; (d) to damage caused by accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external cause; (e) to damage caused by operating the Apple Product outside Apple’s published guidelines; (f) to damage caused by service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple; (h) to defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to the normal aging of the Apple Product, or (i) if any serial number has been removed or defaced from the Apple Product."

8. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

^ wrong.

a single hairline crack with no other physical damage is covered

source: former apple technician.

9. Bamff macrumors regular

Apple visual inspection guide for hairline cracks on screens.

http://i.imgur.com/hr0ZkNy.jpeg

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

While single hairline crack is replaceable under warranty you won't find this in warranty details but in Apple's internal documents that they distribute to Apple Store employees.

And it has to be single hairline crack. If it's also accompanied with multiple or spider cracks, no dice.

11. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

This is the sheet that I saw a while back on how they handled a single hairline crack.

47568-iphone_5_policy.jpg

EDIT: Just noticed Bamff beat be to it and posted a link (non-clickable) to the same sheet

12. Ashtar macrumors regular

I was wrong about it stating it in the warranty, but I was right about hairline cracks being covered under the warranty.

13. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

Hope this crack dont just happen from pulling in and out of your pocket because i use mine without screen protector.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Highly unlikely but why worry about it? It's eligible for warranty services anyway.

15. calyanjaele macrumors newbie

If it's one hairline crack Apple will likely replace the screen free. If you get the screen replaced someplace other than an Apple Store it voids your warranty. Go to apple first. Make a decision after that.

16. IsaiahL macrumors member

IsaiahL

Not true, Apple gives one free pass one iPhone cracks then they make you pay so if it's small go to Apple, never settle for a crack screen cause now you're always at risk of the littlest drop shattering it.

17. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Uhh definitely tlry not true. They don't give you a free 1 time cracked screen repair.

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It has to be a single hairline crack, no matter how long it is.

19. IsaiahL macrumors member

IsaiahL

Yes they definitely do I know people who work at the retail stores, thank you very much.

----------

Yeah the warranty covers slight cracks, if the whole screen is shattered then you pay.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Well, my Apple Store manager sister says you're wrong, thank you very much.

21. IsaiahL macrumors member

IsaiahL

That's nice. Maybe it's just my Apple store.

----------

Lol you must get discounted iPhones?

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Just the original iPhone (which wasn't subsidized). No discounts on iPhones for family members, although she could apply a one-time $500 discount toward a full retail price iPhone. Most discounts I get go toward Macs and other stuff.

23. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I wish I knew this, my iPad had a tiny crack that spread and has destroyed it.