Hairline Cracks...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cWeems, Jul 14, 2009.

1. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

on the bottom of my 3GS i just noticed (cause i never look at the bottom) 7-8 hairline cracks coming from the charging port and up the back, not too long, but def noticeable, i dont jerk it around in the charger because i have the dock so it just gets sat down nicely each night.

the phone is in perfect condition besides this, ive never even dropped it on carpet or sat it down too hard.

do you think apple will swap it out for this reason? its been a month and i really dont want them to grow too much and make it look like physical damage on my part...?

thanks

2. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Take it in, they should replace it. It is a known issue.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

They I assume will replace them like they did the White 3G Ones. It was a known error and you just go and replace it and answer a couple of questions about where you store your iPhone.

4. cWeems thread starter macrumors 6502a

cWeems

okay cool ill try that then.. when i called and asked the Apple store the dude seemed kind of iffy, but yea i think when they see the condition of the rest of the phone they should swap it out.

5. davyreins macrumors 6502

I heard from a friend who works at an apple store that they aren't supposed to replace it because of the cracks unless a piece of the phone has fallen due to it. Can't say if this actually happens in practice, I'm sure it depends on the genius. Also, it seems that if a piece falls off they might blame you for dropping it or something.

Also, are you talking about actual cracks or just the gray lines that are only visible but the plastic isn't actually separated. I've had both on my white 3G.

6. MacLovin78 macrumors regular

I have had two iPhone 3g replaced for the cracking issues. First phone I had almost a year and noticed it had a crack right near the port at the bottom. I took it in to a genius and he replaced it no problem. The second phone ended up with a crack right at the vibrate/mute switch. I took the phone in to the genius bar and he replaced it with no problem. Interestingly enough, that second genius said that if it had been cracked at the bottom near the port that they wouldn't replace it because it would be caused from too much pressure in a pocket or what not, basically the owners fault. I purchased applecare and kept my mouth shut and walked out, so I think it really depends on the genius you see.

7. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

Make sure you take it to the Apple Store if it's anything serious. These cosmetic faults can be fixed under your AppleCare.

8. cWeems thread starter macrumors 6502a

cWeems

just the gray lines

9. davyreins macrumors 6502

I think it's going to be a toss up. Let us know what happens.

10. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Once again, it all depends on which store you go to, what Genius serves you, how they feel that day, etc.

Every single person's experience is completely different. To be honest, the chances of you getting your iPhone replaced are anyone's guess. It's a hit or miss.

Good luck getting the iPhone replaced.

11. crazychris3992 macrumors member

crazychris3992

took mine in and showed them that i had literally 27 cracks ALL THE WAY AROUND my phone. they put me down for an appointment. went in at 1:00 came out with a new iphone at 2:00 with out any questions asked. i loved it.

yay for :apple:

12. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I don't know about you, but if I had 27 cracks in my phone based of shotty QC my attitude wouldn't be "Yay for Apple," but more along the lines of, "Damn right you'll replace it."

13. Johnnybrav0 macrumors member

They will replace it...I was there last week...they open 3 damn iphone and it was all cracked...two genius was stock...they where like it's new...I was like man you are telling me....

I double check and triple checked with the two apple genius...use the genius flash light thing they use to check for water damage...

The 4th iphone is prefect...knock on wood man....bring it back...My advise for you is bring it back so they can't blame you for it....

Call Apple Care first so you can get an appointment....after that they will switch out a new iphone for you....They seem to know about that problem at my Apple Store....so yes Apple knows it and it's their fault....just like those stupid mac laptop that was cracking....I pretty sure same crap here.....