Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
All of these screens can scratch. My iPhone's develop small ones from rubbing around in my pockets, but it doesn't impede my usage.

@augustya I used my iPad Pro 9.7" for 15 months. I took good care of it but I still used it outside and in public places. I had no screen scratches that I could tell. I traded it into Gazalle and it received the "flawless" status. I've dropped things like the metal end of my headphone jack and stuff on it - they're very resilient.

However, just take reasonable precautions. When I was using it with my fingers I never pressed that hard so I wasn't worried, but before I would use the pencil I always made sure to clean the screen (always kept a cleaning cloth in the iPad's carrying bag). I press much harder with the pencil and didn't want to catch any grit under the tip. I never had an issue.

I wouldn't worry, sir. These devices are MADE to be used. Nicks, scratches, chips, it will happen. Just buy it and enjoy. Try to be careful, buy AppleCare in case of an accident and forget it.

Also, I've never used a case or screen protect with any iPad (3, Air 2, 9.7" Pro, 10.5" Pro). It make them bully and I value the tablet-only experience. I do, however, use the Smart Cover or Smart Keyboard when I travel.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Also, I've never used a case or screen protect with any iPad (3, Air 2, 9.7" Pro, 10.5" Pro). It make them bully and I value the tablet-only experience. I do, however, use the Smart Cover or Smart Keyboard when I travel.

Do you use a back cover for your iPad or do you use your iPad bare back ?

baconcow

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2016
And what do you reckon the answer will be?

Not terribly hard to guess.

But ok...have it your way.

I am in the exact similar situation, right now. I have a glass screen protector and picking up my iPad, later. I am not sure if I should apply it immediately and then check for issues with the screen as I use it over the next week or spend some time looking for defects first, before I put it on. For me, it is not an obvious answer, which is why I was asking them. I see a lot of people mentioning they put the protectors on ASAP to avoid any potential issues. Not everybody lives in dust or debris-free environment. You clearly have no interest in what I was asking, so I am not sure why you waste my or your own time providing me a rude response.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I am in the exact similar situation, right now. I have a glass screen protector and picking up my iPad, later. I am not sure if I should apply it immediately and then check for issues with the screen as I use it over the next week or spend some time looking for defects first, before I put it on. For me, it is not an obvious answer, which is why I was asking them. I see a lot of people mentioning they put the protectors on ASAP to avoid any potential issues. Not everybody lives in dust or debris-free environment. You clearly have no interest in what I was asking, so I am not sure why you waste my or your own time providing me a rude response.

The answer is you apply the screen protector after you verify that the iPad is defect free. Not before.

And yes...I have answered your question even though you appear to be ungracious in your manner.

Do you have any more questions?

PS. You can elect to put the protector on once you unbox the iPad. But if you have to exchange it, be prepared to buy another screen protector.

Hence why you apply it after you verify it is problem-free first.

Last edited:

baconcow

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2016
The answer is you apply the screen protector after you verify that the iPad is defect free. Not before.

And yes...I have answered your question even though you appear to be ungracious in your manner.

Do you have any more questions?

My question was for ibookg409 and any apparent ungraciousness was due to the impoliteness of your initial response to my question. Either way, thank you for your input.

Reactions: ABC5S

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
My question was for ibookg409 and any apparent ungraciousness was due to the impoliteness of your initial response to my question. Either way, thank you for your input.

You are welcome.

Enjoy the new iPad.

I realize there may be dust in the air, etc which makes it more problematic to put the screen protector (after verifying the iPad is ok), but you really don't want to put it on before.

They package a wet nap with the protector to help with the dust problem in most cases.

Last edited:

baconcow

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2016
You are welcome.

Enjoy the new iPad.

Thanks. I'm only paranoid and this is my first iPad. Sorry for the dumb question, but I was only trying to find out how others dealt with things, no matter how obvious the answer.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Thanks. I'm only paranoid and this is my first iPad. Sorry for the dumb question, but I was only trying to find out how others dealt with things, no matter how obvious the answer.

Understood...see the edits I made just now above.

Any more questions, I'll be happy to try to answer.

My iPad and iPhone both have protection on them so I have some experience in these matters. As others have here too.

You are wise to put some sort of protection on.

Last edited:

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Bare. I wanted to be able to pull off any cover and use the ipad in full tablet mode.

No cases, skins, etc.

Aren't you worried if going bare back for the iPad Pro the back may get scratched or something ? Can the back get scratched if it is used with proper care ? Just curious what have you thought about it ?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Aren't you worried if going bare back for the iPad Pro the back may get scratched or something ? Can the back get scratched if it is used with proper care ? Just curious what have you thought about it ?

The back of my iPad Pro never got scratched with normal care, but the plastic Apple logo on the back that serves as the antenna window did get a few minor scrapes.

I thought about all of that, but I decided that using the device was worth more to me than covering it up to keep it in perfect condition for future party I don't know

I bought the device to use, so I'm going to use it in the way I like most, which is with no protection or back cover. However, since I've been very careful I have never had an issue with scratches, cracks, etc.

I always set it down on a cloth or another soft surface, I transported in a little sleeve, I clean the screen before I use the Apple Pencil. I just use standard precautions.

augustya

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
The back of my iPad Pro never got scratched with normal care, but the plastic Apple logo on the back that serves as the antenna window did get a few minor scrapes.

Apple logo at the back serves as the antenna window ? I didn't know that ? Didn't quite understand what you mean ?

yep-sure

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
I've had my Space Grey 12.9" iPad Pro for about a week, coming from a white iPad Air 2 which was always in a black case. Before the Air 2 I had a white 1st gen Mini.

Anyway, I was on the phone a couple of days ago, when I finished the call I put my phone down on my iPad out of muscle memory, not realising I just put it down on its naked screen. Subconsciously I thought "black = cover". So my naked SE with all its jagged edges and aluminium back on my brand new naked and prestine 12.9" screen. I turned the light on and saw heaps of mini scratched all over my iPad. I must have slid my phone onto it not just placed it gently. Great.

I thought I had just ruined by brand new iPad Pro, but luckily a simple wipe with a microfibre cloth cleaned all the marks off the screen without a permanent scratch in sight. I'm so lucky! The iPad and all its accessories cost me about $2k AUD so I felt sick there for a minute.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I've had my Space Grey 12.9" iPad Pro for about a week, coming from a white iPad Air 2 which was always in a black case. Before the Air 2 I had a white 1st gen Mini.

Anyway, I was on the phone a couple of days ago, when I finished the call I put my phone down on my iPad out of muscle memory, not realising I just put it down on its naked screen. Subconsciously I thought "black = cover". So my naked SE with all its jagged edges and aluminium back on my brand new naked and prestine 12.9" screen. I turned the light on and saw heaps of mini scratched all over my iPad. I must have slid my phone onto it not just placed it gently. Great.

I thought I had just ruined by brand new iPad Pro, but luckily a simple wipe with a microfibre cloth cleaned all the marks off the screen without a permanent scratch in sight. I'm so lucky! The iPad and all its accessories cost me about $2k AUD so I felt sick there for a minute.

Put something on that screen. 13" of potential trouble.

Or not. And face the potential consequences.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Apple logo at the back serves as the antenna window ? I didn't know that ? Didn't quite understand what you mean ?

The Apple logo on the back of the iPads is not metal like the stainless steal one star in iPhones because the Apple Logo allows Wifi and Bluetooth signals to pass through. It's the antenna window for these signals.

It is just plastic so that did get a few scratches on my 9.7" iPad Pro because it isn't a hard material.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
But aren't the iPad screen supposed to be Scratch Resistant for such fine scratch possibilities because of the Gorilla Glass Technology ?

Sand is incredibly hard. It'll cut through Gorilla Glass like butter.

You'll need Sapphire crystal to stand up to sand.

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
Do you not check the iPad and screen for defects, first (i.e. yellow tint, uneven backlighting, light bleed, dead pixels, etc.)?
Yes, but you can do that with the original plastic still on the device. Once you remove the plastic the glass screen protector is on immediately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.