Hairy Arms/Wrist

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by sp392845, Feb 4, 2015.

1. sp392845 macrumors newbie

Oct 23, 2014
    Sorry for the weird title...

For anybody that knows anything about sensor technology (I am clueless) will the Apple Watch's heart rate sensor/future sensors work for somebody with an especially hairy wrist, where a watch would go? I feel like the hair would block or inhibit the sensors from working properly.

Has anybody else thought of this or am I the only gorilla arm who is dying to get an Apple Watch?
  2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Nov 7, 2007
    New Sanfrakota
    Unless you're as furry as an Alaskan Malamute, it should still work.
  3. ant69 macrumors regular

Feb 2, 2009
    just shave a small band of hair from around your arm lol :p
  4. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Jul 25, 2012
    I plan on getting my left arm hair waxed off just before I get my Apple Watch to ensure the best readings of my pulse!
  5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Jul 16, 2002
    If it's a decent sensor it shouldn't be a problem. I have moderately hairy arms -- nothing to compete with King Kong -- but you can see as much hair as skin. I used the Fitbit Charge HR for a month and a half and it had zero issues finding my HR.

The only problem was the HR reported was about 5-10% below actual HR (when compared real time to a chest strap monitor's report). I don't know how Apple's LED system compares to Fitbit's but that is the question I can't wait to answer. My hope is that it will be w/i a % or two of a chest strap otherwise it's not useful outside of casual information. It's why I returned the Charge HR.
  6. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Oct 13, 2008
    Everywhere And Nowhere
  7. jafingi macrumors 65816

Apr 3, 2009
    I know that Polar's chest heart rate monitor doesn't like hair, and you have to shave off a little square :p But I would be amazed if Apple haven't got it working, unless you're a monkey :p
  8. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Jul 25, 2012
  9. cleirac macrumors 6502

May 7, 2014
    This thread delivers!

From the thread title up thru the very last post. Piggie-less too, jk.
  10. Piggie macrumors 604

Feb 23, 2010
    I try my best :)

11. sp392845 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 23, 2014
    Lol! Thanks for all the responses arms definitely aren't THAT hairy, it's more my lack of understanding about sensor technology. And I know from working in healthcare about shaving the chest for those monitors (although I think that's more so that when they're removed, they don't rip off the hair.)