hakintosh question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by turtlez, Oct 25, 2012.

1. turtlez macrumors 6502a

turtlez

So until now I have never cared to get a hakintosh but now I cannot afford this new iMac that i have been waiting for since April lol, well I can afford it but I am not willing to pay that amount they are asking for it. Decided I might be interested in a hakintosh after all.

So, is it easy to do yourself?
    Is there anything that will screw up like steam not work etc?
    Will it support the Apple TBD?

You know, will it have the general smoothness no issues that you get with an official mac?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

you will have better luck in the hackintosh forums.

3. blanka macrumors 68000

Stop whining and get the mid-level MacMini. It is faster than all iMacs and probably within your budget.

4. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

If you have to ask, it's probably not for you

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You'll have a much easier time if you build one of the CustoMac's on TonyMacx86.

Really the only parts to worry about are the Motherboard, Video Card and WiFi card. As far as the other components go as long as they are compatible with the motherboard they'll work. So get the Case, CPU, PSU, RAM, Hard Drive, Optical Drive you want.

As for a keyboard and mouse I'd stick with Microsoft keyboards and Logitech Mice. I think they are the best and provide drivers for OS X. So that extra keys and buttons work. Also the Start and Alt keys are reversed after installing the MS driver so that the command and option keys are in their correct places in OS X. You can also just get a pricey Apple Keyboard and Mouse/Trackpad.

Any other components like printers, expansion cards and other peripherals compatibility is based on the manufacturer. If they are stated as OS X compatible by the manufacturer they will work on a hackintosh as they would a regular Mac.

6. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

LOL!!! :eek: