Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sayhitokatie169

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
hey guys, this is my first post on this forum, even though i've been an avid reader for awhile, so i just wanted to first off say hi to everyone :)

i've had my MBP for almost a year now in March, but as of yesterday i noticed that the right side of my trackpad doesn't respond when i click it. i can still scroll or move the mouse over it, but the clicking just doesn't work. i looked at it and the right side seems to be a little more sunken in than normal, probably from over use on the one side, and i have apple care so ill be going to the apple store shortly to see what they'll say about it. i'm just wondering if anyone else has had this problem? and if so, do you know if its a problem they can fix in the store and ill have it the same day? or if they'll send it out or what.

thanks in advance guys :)

ericcartman

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2010
same problem

hi
i bought mine last year in july. after four months, the trackpad failed completely and had to be replaced. and just now i noticed the problem you mention. and it is the right side that is misbehaving. so back to the genius bar again i suppose. when i was deciding what computer to buy, someone told me that all theri friends had various computers that were in and out of the repair shop, but she had always used macs and had never had a single problem. so much for that then.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Just a quick report. I have the same problem with my 2009 MBP. It started suddenly after ~10.5 months. Only the lower left side of the trackpad works reliably. Lower right doesn't work at all. Anywhere else is random. Grr.

EDIT: Just in case anyone finds this in a search I also have noticed that my caps lock key has been funky. Misses about every 3 presses. Will report back after I take it to see the genius bar tomorrow.

EDIT 2: Working again. Just threatening it with a trip to the Genius Bar was enough apparently.

EDIT 3: FWIW, the Genius Bar confirmed that it was flaky even though it was mostly working when I took it in, and they were able to replace/repair the trackpad only in hours without requiring a top case replacement. I ended up buying Applecare for this box anyhow since the 12 months is almost up.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.