Other Half debating canceling my preorder and waiting until 2019

macdaddy1991

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2010
228
152
I’m a 7plus user who skipped the X/8 as I was holding out for the X in the plus sized from factor. Now that it’s here I can help but feel a little underwhelmed. Considering cancelling the 256gb XS Max I have preordered and just holding out until the 2019 phones. The 7plus is still a more than capable phone.

Anyone else in the same boat?
 

csi24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
170
140
Maryland
I have a 7 Plus as well. Been going back and forth on whether I want to get a 256gb Max or wait till next year. My 7 Plus is perfectly fine as well. The only thing really tugging at the wallet strings is that 6.5" screen. It's hard to resist lol.

I'm really hoping ios 12 is as good as everyone says it is. It would make holding onto my 7 Plus easier to do
 

macdaddy1991

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2010
228
152
I have a 7 Plus as well. Been going back and forth on whether I want to get a 256gb Max or wait till next year. My 7 Plus is perfectly fine as well. The only thing really tugging at the wallet strings is that 6.5" screen. It's hard to resist lol.

I'm really hoping ios 12 is as good as everyone says it is. It would make holding onto my 7 Plus easier to do

I’ve had iOS 12 on my 7plus since June and it’s pretty great. The reason I got the XS Max is exactly for the reason you mentioned. The screen! Aside from that I have no real reason to upgrade. I was planning to sell my 7plus this week in order to pay for the new phone but I may wait until it comes next Friday so that I can swap back and forth between them over a couple days to see if I miss the screen as much as I think I will switching back the the 7plus.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jimmy_uk

csi24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
170
140
Maryland
I’ve had iOS 12 on my 7plus since June and it’s pretty great. The reason I got the XS Max is exactly for the reason you mentioned. The screen! Aside from that I have no real reason to upgrade. I was planning to sell my 7plus this week in order to pay for the new phone but I may wait until it comes next Friday so that I can swap back and forth between them over a couple days to see if I miss the screen as much as I think I will switching back the the 7plus.
I was thinking about doing the exact same thing. Selling prices for the 7 Plus are still pretty good too, so that's another reason I'm leaning towards the Max. Selling prices are only going to go down as it gets older (duh, I know lol) so it means even more money upfront, since I like to buy my phones full price
 

macdaddy1991

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2010
228
152
I was thinking about doing the exact same thing. Selling prices for the 7 Plus are still pretty good too, so that's another reason I'm leaning towards the Max. Selling prices are only going to go down as it gets older (duh, I know lol) so it means even more money upfront, since I like to buy my phones full price
Yeah I bought mine outright as well to keep on my plan. 2000$ after tax hurt a lot. :/
 

dmillar74

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2011
206
115
Livonia, Michigan
I’m a 7plus user who skipped the X/8 as I was holding out for the X in the plus sized from factor. Now that it’s here I can help but feel a little underwhelmed. Considering cancelling the 256gb XS Max I have preordered and just holding out until the 2019 phones. The 7plus is still a more than capable phone.

Anyone else in the same boat?
Having the same thoughts here as well. Kinda feel dumb pre-ordering a $1,249 phone when my 7+ works perfectly. I’m considering cancelling or taking it back after trying it.
 

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
627
726
United Kingdom
I’m a 7plus user who skipped the X/8 as I was holding out for the X in the plus sized from factor. Now that it’s here I can help but feel a little underwhelmed. Considering cancelling the 256gb XS Max I have preordered and just holding out until the 2019 phones. The 7plus is still a more than capable phone.

Anyone else in the same boat?
All of the iPhones I’ve replaced have been perfectly capable phones, I’ve upgraded because I wanted to. I’m going from 8 Plus to XS and, for me, the OLED, FaceID and the stainless steel design are more than enough to justify the cost. Price isn’t my main driver and never has been - given how much my phone does for me and how much time I spend using it, I don’t mind the cost.

But that’s not true for everybody. I’d wait for the hands on reviews and videos and make a choice based on whether it’s value for you.
 
Last edited:

jimmy_uk

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2015
1,071
971
UK
Totally in the same boat with my 7+. Would love the screen size of the MAX as the X is too small width wise (keyboard too small etc). But I was getting eye issues with the OLED X PWM flicker so have every reason to believe the MAX will be the same.

Not interested in dropping resolution to XR so if the MAX is off the table I'm sticking with 7+ or considering Note 9. Is this the end of the road for me and Apple......:(
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: EvvieLynn

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
755
1,351
All of the iPhones I’ve replaced have been perfectly capable phones, I’ve upgraded because I wanted to. I’m going from 8 Plus to XS and, for me, the OLED, FaceID and the stainless steel design are more than enough to justify the cost. Price isn’t my main driver and never has been - given how much my phone does for me and how much time I spend using it, I don’t mind the cost.
Why didn't you just get the X last year instead of the 8 Plus, since all the benefits you've said that justifies the cost were on the X too?.....

------------

TBH I'm feeling a bit the same. I currently have a 128Gb 6s Plus, that still works well with no problems, and i have over 30Gb of space left so am not desperate for more memory. Last year i pre-ordered the X as it had been 2 years on same phone, but after a few days i ended up canceling the order. I just couldn't justify the huge increase in price, and in the 10 months since i canceled have i regretted it at all? No, my current 6s Plus has been fine (i did replace the battery though), and i'm probably £400-£500 better off (price bought at minus price could see at minus costs)

Now that i've pre-ordered the XS 256Gb that has way more memory than i'm ever going to need ( I don't watch movies or TV shows on my phone, short Youtube videos occasionally if someone sends a link on WhatsApp etc), and it's the same cost as last years X would have been that i ordered, i am still feeling guilty at splashing out on something that my 3 year old phone can do for me instead. Buyers remorse i suppose.

I'm just gonna wait until next friday when it arrives and see if it changes my mind.
 

Velin

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
1,596
1,063
Hearst Castle
Kinda feel dumb pre-ordering a $1,249 phone when my 7+ works perfectly. I’m considering cancelling or taking it back after trying it.
Wait until the next iPhone release, then buy an Xs at the reduced price. You'll have a mature product with all the bugs/problems fixed, for less money.
 

snow755

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2012
1,249
377
i think i may wait tell 2022 too upgrade my iphone 8 plus runs grate cant wait too see what kind of iphone apple plans too have by that time
 

Donnation

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2014
1,205
1,273
I sort of had the same feelings, but still preordered. I purchased the X last year, and really liked it, except for one thing, the size. I was so used to the larger form factor that the X just felt too small and narrow to me and I ended up returning it and staying with my 7 Plus. I figure that Xs Max should be about the perfect size for me so I intend on keeping it but won't hesitate to return it if I still prefer the 7 Plus.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ladyc0524 and FFR

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
4,507
2,373
London
I sort of had the same feelings, but still preordered. I purchased the X last year, and really liked it, except for one thing, the size. I was so used to the larger form factor that the X just felt too small and narrow to me and I ended up returning it and staying with my 7 Plus. I figure that Xs Max should be about the perfect size for me so I intend on keeping it but won't hesitate to return it if I still prefer the 7 Plus.
I felt the same way, but kept the X, couldn’t go back to Touch ID.
 

craigio85

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2017
627
726
United Kingdom
Why didn't you just get the X last year instead of the 8 Plus, since all the benefits you've said that justifies the cost were on the X too?.....

------------

TBH I'm feeling a bit the same. I currently have a 128Gb 6s Plus, that still works well with no problems, and i have over 30Gb of space left so am not desperate for more memory. Last year i pre-ordered the X as it had been 2 years on same phone, but after a few days i ended up canceling the order. I just couldn't justify the huge increase in price, and in the 10 months since i canceled have i regretted it at all? No, my current 6s Plus has been fine (i did replace the battery though), and i'm probably £400-£500 better off (price bought at minus price could see at minus costs)

Now that i've pre-ordered the XS 256Gb that has way more memory than i'm ever going to need ( I don't watch movies or TV shows on my phone, short Youtube videos occasionally if someone sends a link on WhatsApp etc), and it's the same cost as last years X would have been that i ordered, i am still feeling guilty at splashing out on something that my 3 year old phone can do for me instead. Buyers remorse i suppose.

I'm just gonna wait until next friday when it arrives and see if it changes my mind.
Because this time last year, FaceID was a complete unknown. While I trusted Apple, I wanted to stand back for a few months and observe what users made of it in day to day usage.
 

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
33,222
34,226
There will be a lot of members who will receive the new iPhones and have second thoughts. If you can’t justify the price point for the technology, then you have 14 days to return your iPhone in full.
 

DDustiNN

macrumors 68010
Jan 27, 2011
2,002
879
I went from a 7 to the X, and I love it. By far the best phone I’ve ever had, and definitely my favorite upgrade yet. Coming from someone who pre-orders every year (only skipped once).

Going from a 7+ to a XS Max would be even better.
 
  • Like
Reactions: FFR

Krayzkat

Suspended
Apr 22, 2011
755
1,351
I might just cancel the Xs 256gb and get the 128gb Xr, saving myself £350......

Edit: just realised that if I did just go with the 128gb Xr that costs £800 it would be £80 cheaper than what I bought my current 6s Plus 128gb for.
 

snowboarder

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2007
513
1,954
Exactly in the same boat LOL
I like the bigger screen, but every year I'm more hesitant to give my money to this [...] company.
Used to be a big fan, now I really dislike them. Still, no other options to be honest and I feel that's
exactly what they've been abusing. Any real competition outside of google and they would be in trouble.
Come on, how hard it would be to give as a real file structure? So I could upload MY files
to MY iPhone without going through the POS iTunes? etc, etc
 

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2010
2,538
805
New Hampshire
I totally get the OP being undecided.

I currently have a perfectly working 6S Plus and was so looking forward to a Max but with Pencil ability. If it had that, I would have no buyer’s remorse.

I’m retired now and mostly use my iPhone and IPP for everything. And the bigger phone/screen is perfect for me. I have a 2008 MacBook Pro that is so slow that I never use it - can’t see upgrading when I can do everything I need on my other devices.

But the price of $1249 for my preorder is quite ridiculous. I won’t be cancelling but I’m not as thrilled to get my new phone as I have been in the past.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.