half/half itunes library on internal and external hardrives?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rovertskeew, Feb 13, 2011.

1. rovertskeew macrumors newbie

I have a huge itunes library, both in music and in videos. Is there any way to have my music library stay in the internal harddrive's 'itunes folder' and have the movies on my external harddrive?

Also I am wondering how i can put movies into itunes from my external but not have them copy into the itunes folder

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

iTunes > preferences > advanced. change iTunes media folder location to the external. on the same tab, make sure copy to ... when adding is check marked.

next, select the movies in iTunes, right-click (or ctrl-click), and select consolidate files from the pop-up menu.

when done, you can delete the original files from your local iTunes media (or music) folder. also, make sure you change iTunes media folder location back to your local iTunes folder before adding new music files.

assuming copy to ... when adding is check marked in preferences > advanced, drag the files from the external into an open iTunes window while holding the option key.

iTunes will index the path to the location of the original files (the external) but not copy them physically.

if you want to play files located on the external, make sure it is mounted on your desktop before launching iTunes !

3. rovertskeew thread starter macrumors newbie