Half of YouTube not working in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by twentyred, Mar 18, 2012.

1. twentyred macrumors newbie

Since the 5.1.4 update on Lion. Anyone else noticed this? Approximately half of the videos on YouTube are refusing to play / showing just a black box with the playback buttons in the wrong place. Latest version of Flash, everything working fine in Chrome.

Any ideas what might have caused this?

( Example - this video for me is broken, hope this isn't against the rules http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UeLk6vmbtM )

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

That video works fine for me, do you have any extensions or plugins that might be conflicting?

3. twentyred thread starter macrumors newbie

Only Adblock and 1Password, still happens with extensions disabled.. thanks though! :)

4. dEsUrU macrumors newbie

youtube HTML5 trial auto-enrolled?

I suspect you have enrolled in the youtube html5 trial.

Just unsubscribe.

Here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/html5

good luck.

5. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Unsubscribing to the HTML5 wont make it work. Infact HTML5 work near flawlessly in safari for me, (on 6 machines) and the rest of flash on youtube is a total piss. Just doesn't work!! Occasionally after like 5 reloads and what not it works. But then it jumps frames and all kinds of stuff. Works perfectly in Chrome because it has its own flash player.

6. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I had a similar problem as the OP on both my Mac Pro and MBP ( slightly different as on my machines it would start to play videos then stall / stutter), unsubscribing to the HTML5 trial as suggested by dEsUrU, sorted the problem out on both machines. This problem has been raised on other threads as well, and in a large number of cases opting out of the HTML5 trial fixed the issue.