Half off AppleCare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ZacUSNYR, Feb 9, 2008.

1. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

Just an FYI for those who do not already have AppleCare. My local CompUSA is one of the stores closing it's doors. If you still have one near by - chances are it's closing as well. (i'm not sure how many stores Systemmax chose to keep open).

But I went in - saw a bunch of AppleCares for iPods with a sign (50% Off ALL AppleCares!). Asked if they had one for a MacBook/iBook - "Yes we do!". $130 after tax later and I now have a 3 year AppleCare Protection Plan on my new MacBook I bought at the Apple store last weekend.

I was going to wait till December to get it - but I couldn't pass that deal up :D

2. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

Holy damn, that is right up my alley! And of course, there would be no CompUSA's in Ames...and the one in Des Moines is apparently closed already. Argh!

3. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

sweet! gonna head down to the 2 nearby this week!

4. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

Sucks that we do not have any CompUSA's closing: they all closed here in NoVA during the first mass closing.

5. mchank macrumors regular

Same here in AZ; I got some cheap ipod and laptop accessories during the first closing. Too bad you can't buy the closeout stuff online.

6. Koolio27 macrumors member

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to head over to my local CompUSA to see if they have any left...assuming the store is actually still open!

7. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

haha, I'm in the same boat as you. I will go down and check it out tomorrow... also assuming the store is still open. :)

-JoE

8. DoctorRobert macrumors newbie

I'm not sure in the least, but I think you can activate it whenever you wish (you can buy the retail box yesterday and activate the AppleCare in December)

9. deniser macrumors 6502

deniser

OP any chance you can get me on for an ipod classic :D

10. ZacUSNYR thread starter macrumors regular

This is true - but your warranty only goes as far as your purchase date anyways. So you might as well activate it and use your after 90 day phone support if needed heh

11. ZacUSNYR thread starter macrumors regular

I'd be glad to help anyone out - but i'm not sure if the iPod ones would be worth it. I think they're $60 originally. So $30 + tax would come to around $33 and then it'd be around $4-$5 to ship (flatten box and throw it in a USPS priority flat rate envelope, not sure what they cost now)

So you'd only be saving $20 - still paying $40 for a 1 year extra warranty. heh

12. ideapower macrumors member

They have several at my local store for "Power Mac" - the older, taller boxes (not the little square ones). Anybody know for sure if one of these would apply for my Mac Pro? I'm hoping so, but I don't want to buy it without knowing!

13. ideapower macrumors member

to answer my own question, yes. yes, they can. (i called apple with the serial # to check b4 buying)

14. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

Can I buy one now in anticipation of my future new MBP purchase? and activate it when I actually buy the new MBP? Will it even be the same Applecare?

15. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Yes you can. The activation code is in the box, and it is not activated until you register it. So anytime after you receive your MBP, just register the Applecare and you are good to go.