Halo 3 cropping the sides in multiplayer

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by millsy, Dec 29, 2007.

1. millsy macrumors member

Anyone have an idea why Halo 3 crops the sides on my 16x9 HDTV to bring it to 4:3 when playing with more than 1 player? When i'm in campaign mode with two players the cut scenes are always in full view, but when playing either campaign or on xbox live I get 4:3.

2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I'm sure you meant full widescreen, not 4:3, in (single player) campaign and on live?

Anyway, yes this behavior (with more than one player on the same box) is normal. It startled me too when I first saw it on my new HDTV, but a friend explained to me that it just does that because otherwise the field of view would be insanely wide but not very tall. Also, when there's three players, the top player has the black bars on the side but the bottom two fill the space below evenly. That's just the way it works.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

4. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

As annoying as it is, it's way better than Halo 2 was on 360 on a 4:3 screen (splitting it down the middle vertically, so it was insanely tall but you couldn't see squat either side...)

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

^ Wow, Halo 2 split vertically on a 4:3 screen? Holy crap, that would be horrible. A vertical split on a widescreen might be OK, but not on 4:3.

6. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Yeah, I think that's why it happened - it thought it was rendering 1280x720 or something silly