halo combat evolved

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by jj the amazing, Feb 24, 2009.

1. jj the amazing macrumors newbie

I have been looking for a halo ce gme for my mac, and cant find it anywhere. Any ideas of websites that sell it, or stores. I have been to amazon.com, i dont trust ebay, gamestop, and target.

2. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Discontinued by MacSoft (they lost the license) - you'll have to get a used copy off eBay, Half.com, etc. MacSoft does offer a Universal Binary download for $5, but it doesn't work without a serial number, and they can't provide or sell those.

3. jj the amazing thread starter macrumors newbie

4. rj-300zx macrumors regular

rj-300zx

If you have the Windows version, use that serial, its what I did when I lost my case for it, as well as doom 3 and quake 4.

5. Supaklaw macrumors regular

You have 2 choices... you can get the PC version (for dirt cheap btw, less than $10) and run it under bootcamp, which I would recommend as it's a newer update... there are more servers to pick from... and the texture mapping is far superior to the Mac version.

If you buy the MacSoft Universal Binary upgrade for $5 you'll need a Mac serial, which is going to cost you. You'll pretty much only find them on eBay, and they are at a premium since they are rare, so expect to pay in the $40-60 range, I got mine off eBay for about $55.

You can buy a Universal Binary complete install disk off there too, but probably will run a little more. But Gamestop is probably you're only other bet (and probably a cheaper option than eBay as they may not realize it's current value). It's not going to show up on a major retailer, like Amazon or the Apple Store, it's out of date and long off their radar as a product to sell seeing it's out of print.

6. Sweep'n Streets macrumors member

Negative. The 2.0.3 update that MacSoft provided put the Mac version back in sync. You have the exact same amount of servers with the latest update on Mac as you do on PC.

7. Supaklaw macrumors regular

Technically yes, I usually only pick servers that post a 50ms ping or under... and the list is always shorter on the Mac side for me. Just empirical evidence, not a fact.

8. motoxpress macrumors 6502

So, does the Mac version actually allow you to hook up on the same servers as the PC version?

-mx

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Yep. Back before I broke my copy, I had people flaming me for using a Mac all the time when I played.:p

10. motoxpress macrumors 6502

Ahh...I updated to 2.03 and saw a lot more servers and it doesn't require the CD any more either. Thanks.

-mx