Halo Wars anybody?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by fireshot91, Mar 3, 2009.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Did anybody pick this up today?

I had a 60$ Best Buy Gift Card laying around, so I headed over and got it. I got home around 8:30, so I didn't have a chance to play it yet, but I will most definitely tomorrow.

I can't wait.
    Also picking up HAWX on Thursday.

2. evan g macrumors regular

A friend of mine tried the demo and liked it. I expect to get that one of these days, just not right away. I'm a fan of RTS, I'm just not very good at them. :rolleyes:

Let me know how it is.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I HATE HATE HATE those kinds of games.:mad:

Played the demo, LOVED IT!!!!:eek:

4. 321estrellas macrumors 6502

321estrellas

I was stoked when I first heard about Halo Wars but now I'm reconsidering (I think it takes a lot of time to get really good at RTS games, so I think I'll save my time and energy for Starcraft 2).

Is it the type of game that you pretty much have to love the Halo series to like this?

5. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

My appraisal - in the same way that Civilization Revolution was great if you loved the idea of the Civ games but not the complexity, this is a good choice if you like the idea of RTS but not all the complexity and strategy that makes it require a mouse & keyboard.

I won't be so harsh as to say 'RTS with training wheels', as it is a fun game, just not anything that will ever be called deep or complex. Note my experience is from playing a bit with a friend, as I don't have an X360.

But compared to the massive and awesome Empire: Total War ... this feels very small indeed ...

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Actually bought a copy of it today.

Normally I too hate these RTS games, but I liked the demo enough to buy the full game.

A successful demo indeed :D

No. The game stands up for itself and you do not need prior knowledge of any of the Halo universe.

7. Hissta macrumors newbie

Grabbed it yesterday as well. I am only about 5 missions in (class comes first), but I really enjoy it. I tried the demo first, and it sold me.

I admit I was skeptical at first about a console RTS actually succeeding, but they did a nice job with layout and controls.

If you want to play online, my name is TheReaper7373.

8. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

I think that's what ensemble wanted to do :p (make haters love it). My limited edition comes in the mail tomorrow. Yay, new Halo 3 maps :p.

9. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yeah, I put in ~3 hours into it after school today.

Its a real good game. I'm a huge fan of the Halo series, and pretty much, love it.

You don't need to be a fan of Halo to get it, its an RTS so yeah.

10. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

If anybody buys Halo Wars LE and doesn't play Halo 3 much, I'll buy the codes for the maps from you!

11. evan g macrumors regular

Funny guy! :p

My friend did that JUST to get the new Halo 3 maps (there's nothing you can say to him that I haven't). He looks at it like he bought the new maps, and Halo Wars was an added bonus. Although he was pleasantly surprised by such an accessible RTS, it wasn't enough to hold his attention.

Overall, I think I might wait for a price drop. :cool:

12. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    Tried the demo, and tried the game. Both are far too simple for someone that enjoys RTS games. If you want a better RTS, look into Supreme Commander.

13. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Got my LE in the mail today. I'm pretty happy with it, even though I just played it for a bit. I tried out a standard match and a few campaign missions. Only played around on the mythic maps, Sandbox is EPIC!!!!!!!!! I love the golf club :). I think I'll set up a golf course in the secret upper level of the map (teleporter floating around).