HALP!! 10.4.10 makes my G5 KP!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RebelScum, Oct 12, 2007.

1. RebelScum macrumors 6502

Here's the scoop:

Bought an iMac 2.8. Love it.

TDM'd all my files, accounts, settings, blah blah blah over from my G5 iMac because I'm too impatient to reinstall everything from scratch. 2.8 iMac works fine.

Now I need to format the G5. Since I've long since lost all the disks that came with the G5, I put the 10.4.10 install disk that came with the 2.8 into the G5's DVD drive and double-clicked on "Install OSX". Computer told me to restart. So I did.

Computer restarts just fine, gets to the white apple screen, and KABLAMMO: Kernel Panic.

The KP IS as follows: "Unable to find driver for this platform: powermac 12,1"

Please don;t tell me my HDD or LB are pooched as I have a buyer for the G5 and he's coming in 2 days to pick it up.

Can I install OSX via TDM through the 2.8? Is there any other workarouns?

Many thanks

2. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

1)Restore Disks are specifically designed to only install on the system they are shipped with based on hardware specifications.

2)The restore disks which ship with Intel Macs will not work on older PPC systems. Your only options are to use the original restore disks that came with your G5 if you can find them or buy/borrow a retail copy of Tiger which are PPC only. I believe you can also buy restore disks from Apple for a nominal fee.

3. RebelScum thread starter macrumors 6502

That's bad news. And extremely frustrating.

Ah well, many thanks.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Call Apple and ask for a set of replacement DVDs for your machine, you will need some info on the computer -- since they will send you out the DVDs that match the machine.

Pay $19.95-24.95 for them or just buy the Leopard Family pack.

5. RebelScum thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you both very much for your quick replies. As it turns out, someone in the household thought the discs lived in the very bottom of the bottom drawer of the cabinet that I don't use and haven't for about 2 years. OF COURSE!!!!

I'm just EXTREMELY relieved that the KP is entirely related to the disk I was using and NOT due to a flaw in my machine. That's a MAJOR load off.

This seems to be a fairly unknown issue among n00bs & pros alike (I fall somewhere in the lower-3rd of that scale...hardly a n00b, but DEF. not a pro). Not only do I find it very frustrating that the version of OSX that ships with your machine wiull only work on that generation of mac, and ONLY on that form factor (imac, pro, macbook, etc), but the lack of documentation out of the box to explain that fact only serves to cause horrible nightmarish 11th hour panics. Just a 3 line paragraph printed on the disk: "This disk is ONLY compatible with iMac 2.8 "Aluminum" (or whatever it is you have). Do not attempt to install the contents of this disk onto any other computer. Any attempt to do so will result in system error." If there's a link explaining this issue on the Apple forums (and I'm sure there must be), it didn't show up in my many many many googles on the subject last night at 3 in the f&¢%in' morning :p

Hooray for MacRumors is all I gotta say :\

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

I don't know about you, but my disks came printed with "MacBook Restore Disk 1" "MacBook Restore Disk 2" Of course, I was almost as equally chagrinned as you when i found out that my discs don't work in my friend's MacBook Pro. (and we have the same processor, only different speed!)

7. Matek macrumors 6502a

How about simply downloading a version of Tiger that will install on the G5 box? I mean, I know piracy is bad and all, I'm not suggesting you should steal, but isn't it legal to download stuff you actually bought? You can make a backup copy of your OS disc, so we could say that the downloaded copy is your backup. You're not stealing from anyone, right? You paid for your license fair and square, you just lost the disc.

8. TheStu macrumors 65816

He actually found it, so he doesn't have to go there.

9. kostia macrumors regular

The issue is that the discs that come with your computer are NOT "a copy of OS X" or "a version of OS X." They're designed to recreate the image of *everything* that shipped on that model, and yes, that varies by model. Your restore discs contain OS X plus trial versions of software, the current (at the time of the machine's release) version of iLife, and so on.

An OS X installation disc and a restore disc from a Mac are two completely different things.