HALP Artists!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Gutwrench, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

My 21 yo daughter is spending Christmas with a girlfriend (21 yo-ish). The girlfriend is a talented artist...somewhat of a small celebrity among the younger crowd art forums they visit. She does free hand drawings and things and a lot of graphic stuff on a pc and sells some posters.

Here’s my request for help. I want to send a gift along with my daughter for the young woman. I’d like to send...maybe...a set of nice drawing pens??? I’m really out of my element. I’d like to buy something that isn’t just some run-of-the-mill markers or pencils. My budget is <= $75? Any suggestions, please?

Thanks much for and help.

2. eyoungren, Dec 5, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2018

eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Paper might also be appreciated. If you aren't in the art world you wouldn't realize that there are various grades, textures and weights. Paper for sketching, charcoal, drawing, water color, etc.

Some good quality stock paper for drawing might be appreciated.

EDIT: Bristol Board is a good quality paper. It's quality and the price and quantity reflects that.

[​IMG]

3. Zenithal macrumors 603

Polychromos set of 60. Should set you back anywhere from 65-80 depending on your choice of retailer.

Practically had the same gift idea for someone's kid a few years ago. If it's pens as in ink, then you can't go wrong with a set or two of various thickness Sagura Microns.

4. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

Solid choices with pencils, pens and paper.

Is there any way your daughter can find out her friend’s most used art supplies? That could be something else to think about too.

Lovely idea @Gutwrench

5. Zenithal macrumors 603

That invert paper stuff is good, too. I don't know what it's called, but it's either yellow, grey or black and has a rougher texture meant to highlight color against a non-white background. Out of context, this post certainly reads strange.

6. Gutwrench thread starter Contributor

Gutwrench

Great idea. I will ask her. Thank you.