HALP: Repair screen connection to clamshell

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by krazyj, Nov 25, 2009.

1. krazyj macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My precious! I dropped it on a cement floor and it landed on the corner. Now, the screen on that side of the MBP is separating from the aluminum clamshell it is connected to.

See the attached video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pfic2fRXFU

Any ideas on how to repair this one?

It is a MBP 15" unibody (black keyboard).

Thank you!!

2. oculus42 macrumors 6502

I'm guessing you stripped some screws. :(

Even iFixIt didn't have a teardown or manual for the display assembly. I've replaced the LCD on an iBook before, so it at least used to be possible.

Sorry.

3. krazyj thread starter macrumors newbie

:(

It looks like something is disconnected between the clamshell and the LCD, perhaps as you described. Are there any tutorials on how to free the two?

I could slip some kind of adhesive in there to bind the corners together from the inside, however, I'm not immediately sure on the best route to hack the two pieces together.

4. oculus42 macrumors 6502

After a bit more searching, I found this: PowerBook Medic offers a non-OEM replacement for the unibody MBP's glass. More importantly, they have a video on the replacement.

It looks like an adhesive strip is what holds the front glass on, and it is not directly attached to the LCD. Watching someone use a suction cup to pry up the glass is a little gut-wrenching. I imagine actually doing it would be much more so.

Hope this helps.

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Why did you do that video next to a window? I can barely see a thing.