Halp! Windows game SN, on Mac version?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by zbasarab, May 29, 2009.

1. zbasarab macrumors member

Hey all,

I bought Call of Duty 4 from direct2drive awhile ago for my Dell.

Since I now have a mac, I was wondering if I could download a copy of COD4 from a torrent site and then use the serial from the windows version I bought. Would this work, and does this seem legit?

I am not implying I wish to break the law, I just thought since I already bought a copy of COD4, and since no one is using it, it would be fine to torrent the mac version and use the serial i purchased.

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Well it's illegal, but I you're looking for moral justification, I think it's fine... Get ready for the onslaught of the resident Macrumors moral crusaders though...

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Are you wanting a "thar thar itz all gon b k?"
    Yes, its illegal. No, its not legit. Will anyone die? No.

There's your moral justification.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

5. Brad Oliver macrumors regular

I haz a sad.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I knows you. :cool:

I suspect the subtext being, it costs a lot of money and time to port a Windows game to run on a Mac. Those unmentioned "porting gurus" don't get anything for their time and effect if you effectively steal the game and use your Windows SN.

So, sell the Windows version and buy the Mac version and help continue to get games ported to the Mac.

Iz nao happiz?

7. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

That was my exact thought. For example, when the NWN expansions for PC came out I used them on my Mac ... but when the Mac versions released I got them as well to support folks bringing games to the Mac. Of course, I kept both sets rather than selling / trading my PC version, but that is just because I'm nuts ... :D

8. Brad Oliver macrumors regular

Heh, perfect. :)

9. ATimson macrumors regular

I'd have more happies if the Mac versions dropped in price over time. I'd happily pay $20 for a Mac version of KOTOR or NWN2, in addition to my PC version, but I can't justify spending $50 on a game I already own. :(