HamachiX + Shared Itunes + Movies = ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DualBooterOSX7, Aug 28, 2009.

1. DualBooterOSX7 macrumors newbie

So this is my setup:

Mac Pro
    - 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    - 4gb Ram

15 inch MBP
    - 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    - 4gb Ram

LaCie d2 Quadra Hard Disk 1.5 TB eSATA/FireWire 800/ USB 2.0

Basically I want to host my Itunes Library on the LaCie such that I can play it simultaenously from 2 computers without problems, read/write to the Itunes Library, and stream from it anywhere.
    The LaCie will be hooked up to the tower via FireWire 800 at all times and the tower will host it as a networked drive. The networked drive will contain my Movies folder, Music folder and the iTunes libraries on both computers will be pointed to that Networked drive. I will run a HamachiX server on the Mac Pro so that I can stream my music and movies at any time from the Mac Pro to my MBP.

Is this setup reasonable? Will I have any problems keeping the drive mounted when I'm not there and the Mac Pro is idling? Is it alright to run the Pro all the time without putting it into sleep mode? Will I be able to stream my music and movies at reasonable speeds given an average network speed on both ends?

Thanks in advance!

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

You know you can share your music and movies via iTunes without any additional software? :)

3. DualBooterOSX7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does the sharing feature work over the internet or just the local network? Does it allow me to add songs to my library from my laptop if the library is hosted on the remote computer?

4. DualBooterOSX7 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. flatfoot macrumors 65816

OK, you're right. In iTunes, the shared libraries are read-only for those who access them remotely. As to iTunes Sharing over the internet, I don't know... sorry.