hammer toe surgery?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mord, May 17, 2012.

1. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Has anyone had this done? If so how long did it take to recover?

I have quite severe hammer toes on both my feet, I have a surgeon who's up for fixing them with screws not pins but he's been pretty vague about recovery time and I can't find much information about the procedure online.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have never had it done but a co-worker did. She wore a special shoe for two months and did not return to wearing heels for a good 6 months after that. When she did return to heels the heel went from 4" + to just an inch or two. Recovery is fairly long but you should be able to be up on your feet in a week or so, she came back 5 working days after surgery. She didn't have to stand all day at work though so YMMV.

3. Mord thread starter macrumors G4

Mord

Thanks jessica, I can't and don't wear heels, I mostly want the surgery so that I can wear flats as currently my toes are so derpy I can't wear anything that doesn't have significant vertical room for them.

At the moment they mildly hurt when walking and have done for years, if I can get back to my usual routine within a week I'll probably go for it I just want to make sure I'm not taken out for much longer than that.