Hammerhead Capo case for iPad 2/The New iPad (Review)

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by carbonfly, Apr 20, 2012.

1. carbonfly macrumors regular

Alright, I saw this case pop up on iLounge and it looked nice so I decided to take the plunge. This is the first iPad case I have bought. I got it off of Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Hammerhead-Ca...GRD2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334975672&sr=8-1

Case: Hammerhead Capo
    MSRP: $39.99
    Fits: iPad 2 & The New iPad (3rd gen)

This case it made of hard plastic and covered with a faux leather. Both the back cover and screen cover area are firm. The front screen cover has a single hinge crease. There is a latch that clips the cover to the case so the cover won't flap open unintentionally. This case does work with the Smart Cover technology on the New iPad. There is a felt-like material on the underside of the cover which is similar to Apple's Smart Cover. When open, the cover will fold completely flat along the back of the case. There are three angles at which the iPad can be viewed at when sitting tall horizontal. Plus there are 2 different typing angles when sitting flat horizontal.

Pros:
    - As this case is hard plastic all the way around it is protective enough without the bulk of an Otterbox defender style case.
    - Relatively cheap for a complete package of protection
    - Smart cover magnets are correct + a latch keeps the cover closed
    - The typing angles are very sturdy...no wobble
    - When open, the cover lays flat along the backside of the case

Cons:
    - The leather feels moderately cheap (what can you expect for $40?)
    - I wish the leather was more textured.
    - Taking a picture with the rear camera requires holding the case cover open to the side. Because of the cover's hinge, it doesn't simply fold back on itself to allow for photos.

Score: 4/5 stars

Pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Burgandy macrumors newbie

Burgandy

Nice review, thanks. I have been looking for a case for my iPad 2 and cannot decide on snap-in or all leather folios.

This one is interesting with the hinged cover. I can't tell from your pic, how does the latch work?

3. carbonfly thread starter macrumors regular

It's just a plastic hook basically and works via friction when the case is closed. It makes a nice tight *snap* sound when closed. When folded behind the case, the latch is the part that hooks into the back of the case for standing the iPad up. It doesn't seem like the latch would fail, but I guess only time will tell. But it seems robust enough.

4. graceslick91 macrumors newbie

My daughter dropped her ipad from her desk at school - 4 feet at least - the only damage was the hinge on the case broke (where the front and back of case meet). A small price to pay for the ipad not being damaged at all. I was shocked. Ran out same day and bought another case.

I just wish it came in additional colors... :)