Hand brake performance on different macs.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macabron, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Macabron macrumors member

Macabron

First off sorry if I posted in the wrong forum.
    I currently have a MacBook but will upgrade to a MBP soon. I also had a 1.8Gx2 G5 tower, and on my last visit to the apple store I wanted to know how much of an improvement I should expect when I move up to a MBP and since I do use hand brake often and it uses as many cores are available. I used a 2 min clip from a dvd I authored, and used the standard preset for apple TV.
    I couldn't upload the file for the imac 2.8 24" but it managed 50.75fps and an average of 41.14 fps. Hardly scientific I know. And in regards of time the Mac mini took almost 3 minutes, while the Mac Pro took slightly over 30 seconds.

Attached Files:

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The question was if the MBP would be faster than the Mini and the G5

and I'd like to say yes, but it might be a no.

@OP: If you sent me the file, I would try… if you have the name of the DVD, I'll get it from my collection.

4. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

I'd lean toward the 'yes' :p.

5. Matek macrumors 6502a

The improvement you should expect when switching from MB to MBP depends on the MacBook you have. If you have an old Core Duo 1.83 model, a new MBP 2.4 will be visibly faster, since it has a higher frequency, 64-bit support and a newer, better architecture. If you have a current 2.4 MacBook, a 2.4 MBP will be exactly the same.

6. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

there's always the problem of whether or not the program was optimized on the Intel vs. the PowerPC, despite it being "Universal"

i'd say xBench would be a more official score.