Hand Brake problems?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Alx9876, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Alx9876 macrumors 6502a

Alx9876

Anyone else experiencing problems with Hand brake ever since they did the update?

I have been successfull with hand brake until the update came out. Now Hand Brake gives me error messags referring to copy protection laws. I've never had a problem in the past but now I can't even use hand brake anymore.

I am using a PC so I have DVD shrink and dvd decrypter on hand. I don't have access to Mac the Ripper or else I wouldn't post this.

How do I use an iso file in hand brake? I know how to remove the copy protection but don't know how to encode from the file.

The only way I know how to use hand brake is to put the dvd inside the computer and encode from hand brake itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Alex.

2. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Handbrake can't handle an ISO. It reads an unencrypted VIDEO_TS folder just fine though.

3. Alx9876 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alx9876

So what is the next step for me?

I am going to buy an iMac but not until they update/refresh them again. So in the mean time, I am stuck using a Dell PC.

4. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Every DVD has a VIDEO_TS folder (it is what drives DVD playback). Handbrake can be pointed to one that isn't encrypted and it can work.

How you get that VIDEO_TS folder is up to you. You know how to get an ISO (which has a VIDEO_TS folder in it)... but Handbrake doesn't understand ISOs. Say, if you figured out how to mount one of these ISOs, you would probably be golden.

(I don't do Windows, so I don't know the tools, and I have to tapdance around the DMCA)

5. Alx9876 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alx9876

I will just wait until I buy an Apple Computer. I am so discrouraged :( with my PC. I honestly don't know if I can handle sitting here using this PC anymore. I might just pull the trigger and order an iMac online. I can't wait for the refresh to hit. I need one this month.

That way I can get my school work up to date and knock out my video files for Apple TV.

Thanks for the advice though. :)

6. pjac macrumors regular

It sounds like the problem is the libdecss library used to defeat the CSS copy protection in DVDs. I don't think this is included in the Windows version of handbrake due to technical complications in the build process. If your are technically inclined, maybe you can try compiling handbrake yourself...

Or, just read the documentation. You will need to use another bit of software to do this for handbrake:
    http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/WindowsGuiGuide

7. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Great idea! :D

Handbrake is so nice on the Mac... the main GUI developer is a genius!;)

8. Alx9876 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alx9876

Thanks for the advice here.

I am back on track. :)

9. dynaflash macrumors 68020

Very funny slick ... very funny ;)