Handbrake 0.9.3 is SLOW!!! Anyone else???

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ncsmith4, Feb 26, 2009.

1. ncsmith4 macrumors 6502

Hey, so first off I think the Handbrake forums are down right now, but besides that... the moderators there *hate* criticism and delete and lock posts that criticize the product. They even go so far as to almost ridicule new posters who arent familiar with the software...

But thats not my point here really. I wanted to know if anyone else found the new version of Handbrake REALLY slow. MUCH slower than the previous version. It encodes at less then 20fps when Im using the Apple Universal preset (so I can watch it on my iPhone, AppleTV, or any other Apple product I own. It cant be my computer... Ive got a brand new 2.4 ghz unibody MacBook Pro.

Can anyone offer any thoughts or insights into this? Anyone else having the same problems? :confused: :(

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Handbrake has been getting slower since the 0.7x days. Then again quality has been going up on the encoders as well.

3. ncsmith4 thread starter macrumors 6502

When you encode DVDs, what settings do you usually use? And what fps do you usually see?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I don't use my MacBook anymore but I'll take a look tonight after work.

Why nuke my laptop when I can overclock my quad?

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

That's why I never upgraded from 0.9.2 :p

</end useless post>

6. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Okay, sorry to revive but Handbrake used to use all 8 cores on my MacPro, it doesn't anymore, so what happened and how do I rip happily ever after again?

7. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

umm, I've only experienced some odd behaviors out of Handbrake 0.9.3. Recently, HandBrake took extremely long (12 hours) to only scan the titles for a DVD, when compared to many other DVD's that I've popped into HandBrake. (all of the same length).

P.S. This isn't in the right forum section. You put it under 'Mac Applications' but Apple doesn't make HandBrake. Just a notification for next time.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've never seen it use more than 4 cores. I have heard of running multiple instances of HandBrake though.

9. jw2002 macrumors 6502

They sound a lot like the kissmac developers. Those guys have some bizarre rule that newbies have to post in some "why I love kissmac" topic group for 50+ posts before they allow you to make a bug report. When I posted a valid bug report in the "I love kissmac" group, instead of acknowledging the bug, they flamed me for posting in the wrong group. I followed up and told them that they should run their code through a few basic memory error tests instead of releasing it in such a poor state and immediately deleted their crash-ware. For all I know they remain happy in their "bugfree kissmac" fantasy world drinking the same old kool-aid.

Anyways, you can get your revenge by posting in neutral sites like macrumors because more people will be exposed to handbrake's bugginess, slowness, and gradual decrease in quality over time. One question: why not downgrade to a version of handbrake that works better for you?

10. ihabime macrumors 6502

Huh? I'm pretty sure the Mac Applications forum is for any application that will run on a Mac, not just those made by Apple.

11. ncsmith4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Glad this topic has been revived. Its good to know its not just me thats having problems with Handbrake...

Any idea where I can get a copy of the old version of Handbrake?

12. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Try this lil site... :eek:

13. tman07 macrumors regular

Ok, we have a place to download, but can anyone recommend a version to download? Best speed/quality version?

14. DarkRyan323i macrumors member

Mine takes a little less than the length of the movie on the AppleTV preset with one of the new 2.66 24" iMacs. Is this normal? The quality is very good though!

15. JeffreyLloyd macrumors newbie

JeffreyLloyd

Thank you! I will try that!

16. Cirrius macrumors newbie

It's missing 0.92...what gives? I cant find the version anywhere!