Handbrake Alternative for Video_TS Encoding

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by aidanpendragon, Nov 26, 2007.

1. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

I found a DVD that Handbrake doesn't like - either tells me the encode is done instantly or crashes outright. The problem may be that Handbrake can't see one out of the 26 chapters, although it's a good rip & the chapter shows up fine in DVD Player app. Can't encode direct from DVD either.

Can anyone recommend an alternative for encoding from Video_TS folders? I don't think iSquint can do it. (Obviously?) this is for Mac. Thanks.

2. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Maybe you have some zeroised cells in there that is choking handbrake?

Try looking at DVD2ONE - click on movie only conversion and then open the cells section and unclick any 0mb cells. Assuming you find some, run the conversion. After it has completed run Handbrake off the folder that was created.

vanilla

3. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks - but no dice. In that mode & under cells, it only registers 942MB out of 3.26GB/24 min. out of 2+ hours - lots of 1 and 2 min. bits (none 0MB) but none of the main features. When you view by Title, however, they do show up.

4. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

only working way I know is rip via dvd decrypter to one vob file (with a lil help from anydvd) and then bung the movie through videora iPod touch converter

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

7. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

MTR. It's a good rip - works fine in DVD Player. Also, again, Handbrake fails to encode even directly from the DVD.

8. dagored macrumors 65816

9. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

dvd decrypter its a free program to use as is videora

10. pjo macrumors regular

dvd decrypter

and both are windows only programs (not that the OP mentioned using OS X only ... )

11. TheDPR macrumors member

I've never had MPEG Streamclip fail me. It doesn't seem as fast as Handbrake and isn't quite as user friendly, but whenever Handbrake doesn't work for me, I use MPEG Streamclip and it has always worked.

12. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

You have to pay or it's crippled, right? iSquint is the free version, or so it nags me constantly.

Actually, I did, on purpose:

Thanks, I'll give that a run next.

13. dagored macrumors 65816

You asked for an alternative for a Mac. This works, not everything that does is free.

14. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

At first glance, this seems hopelessly byzantine...any advice on how to do a Video_TS convert? Thanks.