HandBrake and DVD Ripping

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zainjetha, Nov 7, 2009.

1. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Hi guys

Have just recovered from an inguinal hernia operation and so since i have not go to work and have nothing to do and i have been meaning to digitise my entire dvd collection i decided i would spend some time doing it since i cant move for about a week.

I have a MacBook Air, A 15-inch MBP, and a 24-inch iMac, and an iPhone... I tried ripping a dvd in handbrake with standard settings. Is there anyone who could tell me the appropriate setting which would allow me to have a single file which fits all the devices well and looks good, because i would like to keep only one copy of the file (I am planning to build a media server so I can store all of these files) and would not like to waste space keeping four copies of the files - one which fits each device perfectly...

I have been meaning to do this but have been extremely busy with work so I really want to get it done once and for all and keep updating my collection as i get new DVDs....

many thanks

Zain

2. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

What do you mean with Standard Settings? If you mean the Apple Universal then this would be the best, this works on all devices... You can toggle the presets on the right.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Apple is rather awesome in the sense that they control you so much so that they require different formats for most of their devices. What plays on my iPhone won't play on my 4G nano and what plays on that won't play on my 5.5G iPod video. All of those combined, none of those typically play on an Apple TV. So is there a standard? Not totally. Unfortunately there is a good reason why handbreak offers you settings for Apple TV, iPhone/iPod Touch, iPod etc.

4. zainjetha thread starter macrumors 6502a

thank you so much...

Jessica, you couldnt be more correct...