Handbrake and .MKVs (1080 & 720)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RedWings, Jan 14, 2011.

1. RedWings macrumors regular

I have a bunch of HD MKVs that range in size from 5gb to 12gb.

Today I fired up handbrake and tried to convert one that was 8gb using the iPad preset in the newest version of handbrake. After a few minutes I went back and it said 16hours remaining. :(

I have converted a bunch of DVDs and other files for my iPod touch in the past and it usually takes 1-2 hours using my Dell Zino.

So what is the best solution for me?

1. Different settings?
    2. Convert them to a different format and use a 3rd party video player
    3. Download the DVD version of the movies I want then convert?

I have used AirVideo, but I think with files this large, it doesn't provide acceptable quality even on my WiFi network.

I have also used FileBrowser

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

I started a project to convert hundreds of DVDs accumulated over the years to a format compatible with my Apple TV and iPhone/iPods/(and now) iPad about 2 years ago. This has been a great device and it's much faster than Handbrake ever was:

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/Turbo264HD/product1.en.html

I'm lucky to get handbrake to convert in real-time, this does it in half-time or better and you can drag and drop any number of files before bed and let it do its work while you sleep.

3. X2thaP macrumors member

Very strange... I just converted around 15 movies a couple of days ago and didn't have any problems.
    I was also using the latest Handbrake, I had a 12,7GB file and an 8,7GB file amongst others and it usually took around 3 to 4 hours depending on movie length and such. Movies or documentaries around 45mins took about 1,5hrs to convert. Latest handbrake, iPad preset, added custom chapters, HD mkv files.

Does the time stay at around 16hrs or does it go down quite fast after a couple of minutes?
    The reason I ask is because I've had it happen where it would say 4hrs in the beginning and go down fast to 1,5hrs.

4. RedWings thread starter macrumors regular

I usually don't check the time remaining until about 20 minutes after I start. I think i'm going to run it for a few hours to see if the time declines.

The specs on my PC that is running handbrake is:

[​IMG]

5. TomCondon macrumors regular

probably just slow on compressing

6. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

I just convert everything to 720p mp4s. If its a TV show, I go with a bitrate of about 1200, if its a movie, I go with about 1500 (higher if its a fancy Avatar like movie).

7. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Bottom line, your CPU sucks. Encoding/Ripping requires lots of single core CPU power. You may have dual-core, but it's a weak processor.

8. RedWings thread starter macrumors regular

Well looks like I may need to upgrade that pc to a Mac Mini. ;)

9. X2thaP macrumors member

I have to agree here. My iMac only has 2GB RAM, but it has a quicker processor, so that might indeed be a reason.
    Now, it used to be fast in the past, but that was when you were converting to iPod Touch format.

So, yeah, if possible, do an upgrade.
    Good luck.

10. davidcmc macrumors 6502

A Mac Mini is gonna suck just like his Athlon X2 does.
    The C2D 2.4GHz is just weak for HD video encoding. Simple as that.

Low-end Macs aren't for heavy works. Doesn't matter if its Windows 7 or Snow Leopard.

11. X2thaP macrumors member

I hate to disagree, but the new Mac Mini is better then my current iMac, which can do this converting just fine, so why wouldn't he be able to use it?
    That thing is going to do just fine IMO. And if he ever has a file that's too big to do on the Mini, he could always add the Elgato thing that poloponies suggested.

Then again, if you have the space, an iMac would perform better. But still, the Mini should do fine IMO.