Handbrake and sub-sub-titles?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacBoobsPro, Sep 4, 2007.

1. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Say you have a film that you want to convert for your AppleTV that contains subtitles for when people are speaking a foreign language but no subtitles when they are speaking English. If you try and convert the DVD using Handbrake the subtitles disappear so you don't know what they are saying. If you tell handbrake to use subtitles it will do so for foreign and English dialogue alike (depending on setting chosen of course).

How do I get Handbrake to show the foreign sub titles but not show them when English is spoken like the original DVD?

Take Godfather Part 2 for example. When Vito is speaking Italian on the DVD English subtitles pop up. When he speaks English they dont.

2. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Sorry just a quick q., how do you enable subtitles on handbrake in the first place?

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Using Handbrake 0.9.0 (which you should be as it is by the best I have used so far) there is an Audio and Subtitles tab which contains all the settings.

4. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Im still not convinced by 0.9.0 just yet however it is the one I am using to get used to it.

In the audio and subtitles tab how do I get it to do what I mentioned above then?

If you choose English it just displays English titles all the way through the film which is not what I want.
    :confused:

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Sorry, my response was to the poster above me. The only way I can think of to do what you want is to use a DVD authoring program like DVD Studio Pro. Handbrake is just a "dumb" application and does what it is told. It does not analyse the contents of the video for changes in the language (in fact no video conversion does as it is bloody difficult from a programming point of view).

You will need to do it yourself by hand I am afraid.

6. MacBoobsPro thread starter macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Can I use crayons? :D