Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
Hi everyone,

It's been almost one year since I've used Handbrake and I've just come back to it.

I am in the process of trying to convert The Simpsons Season 6 into iPhone files. The problem is that I cannot remember how to do it.

My test file has come out to 900 MB and my 2nd file 700 MB. The target file size I want to get is 250 MB - 350 MB give or take.

Thank you for any help. :)

grozier

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2008
First, be sure that you are using the current version (0.9.3) and that the presets are updated. I use the Universal preset for my TV shows, including The Simpsons. This will produce the highest quality that the iPhone can handle and one episode should be in the 300 MB range. I add the commentary tracks, so mine are a bit larger. Be sure to turn on decomb to remove any stray interlacing. (You could also use the iPhone preset for even smaller files, if that is the only place that you ever plan to use it.)

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
Thank you for the information. I used the universal settings and found two file sizes that I like. :)

First size came out 379 MB and 2nd came out at 304 MB. Everything is where I want it. I am encoding these only for my iPhone. I have Dvd's for regular tv viewing otherwise. :)

I turned on Decomb to default.

Thanks again.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
If you're only going to use the files on your iPhone, then use the iPhone setting. It will save you even more space than the Universal preset by removing data that the iPhone won't use.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
Built in presets are confusing. :confused:

I used to know how to encode movies and cartoons before the 0.9.3 update. Since then my toons have looked horrible. Which is why I gave up 11 months ago on this.

iPhone legacy? When you pick this pre-set do I leave it as is? Or do I select 2-pass encoding with turbo first pass?

Universal *(works great no problem here)

Not sure if "Deinterlace is set to slow anymore or not"?. I used this setting before the current build of Handbrake 0.9.3. So far I use Decomb set to default. Nothing else.

Animation setting? For Family Guy, Looney Toons, etc..?? Not sure what the point of this pre-set is since we already established a pre-set for cartoons.

Thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.