Handbrake and TV Series

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by iHailCarlo, Aug 26, 2012.

1. iHailCarlo macrumors 6502

I am having a hard time converting my TV Series to Handbrake for use in iTunes. What steps do you take, to convert it well and useable? How to make them selectable, etc. Thanks in advance.

2. casspir macrumors newbie

casspir

Get iVI ..........

It works.

3. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

i use handbreak all the time, just select the show, make sure you select the right preset option for the apple TV you have (Handbreak has presets for the original, the 2 and the current model) , and let it do it thing, it really doesn't get much simpler than that.

Make sure you have the latest copy of VLC installed , as handbreak leverages that for codecs i believe (though i could be wrong on that, ,but with VLC installed handbreak seems to encode everything ok, without VLC it failed on converting MKVs)

4. No More Windows macrumors member

I couldn't agree more!! HandBrake would have to be the best video encoder out there for Mac. It is available for Windows too, but it runs like crap!! I generally encode everything on the Apple TV 2 presets, it seems to encode a lot faster than the ATV3 config too. I'm in the process of converting my collection so most of my source material is from DVD so 1080p is not generally required and I find 720p is more than enough even for the Blu-Ray rips.

5. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

It's pretty simple to use. Just hit source, select disc, and select the episode. Sometimes on the disc they are labeled as the episode but just look at the file size and you can tell which file is the actual episode. They are in order so just go down the list. Use the add to batch button to make a group of them to encode at one. I'm not sure what you mean by selectable though...

I used Handbrake for Windows for years and never had an issue with it, ran great. The ATV2 setting is going to run a lot faster than the AT3 setting because of the resolution difference, if you want 1080P there is going to be a processing time penalty. The way I look at is I spent the money on a 1080P television and a 1080P capable media player, so dang it I'm keeping my source as 1080P as well.

6. Jim.R macrumors member

7. iHailCarlo thread starter macrumors 6502

Got it working great, just had to fiddle with it a bit. I have them ripping and in order on itunes with synopsis, episode names, etc. works great with ATV3.