Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scuba629

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Can you install the 64-bit version of Handbrake and still use VLC even though its only 32-bit? I think I read some place that you can't?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Can you install the 64-bit version of Handbrake and still use VLC even though its only 32-bit? I think I read some place that you can't?

The one has nothing to do with the other. I use VLC and Handbrake on all of my Macs. Handbrake is 64-bit and I can't remember which VLC I am using. I just download it from the VLC website.

VLC has various versions 32/64, 32 and 64 bit.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html
64bit mode requires Mac OS X 10.6 or later

What exactly do you want to do?

Scuba629

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Hmm thought I read it mattered. Maybe that's old info.

If it doesn't matter I'll get 64-bit on both.

Want to take DVDs and convert them to videos to play on trips. Mainly so I don't have to bring a SuperDrive.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I must tell you that I've been using Handbrake and VLC for 2 years now, have ripped about 4 TB of my DVDs and BRs and have never seen that. I've also never really paid attention to which versions I was installing. I totally misunderstood your first post.

I just checked to make sure and I am currently using the 64 bit Handbrake and 64 bit VLC. Is there any particular reason why you don't want to install 64-bit VLC?

Scuba629

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Just making sure they are working together. Sounds like they do.

Are there any other apps u use with handbreak?

Does handbreak and vlc have auto updates?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Just making sure they are working together. Sounds like they do.

Are there any other apps u use with handbreak?

Does handbreak and vlc have auto updates?

Handbrake has auto update. I don't remember if VLC does auto update, but it does have a Check For Update button in the application meu. I just remember to hit it once a month.

I use iDentify. It's a great little app which downloads the artwork and writes the correct info into the m4v/mpg file so that it shows up in iTunes under the correct place (TV series or Movies) and with the artwork, season number, description and so forth. You just have to make sure that you name your output files from Handbrake in the format that iDentify can understand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.