Handbrake Apple TV3 Setting - file sizes

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by GavM, Sep 1, 2012.

1. GavM macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a query and would really appreciate some advice.

I've been using the Apple TV3 setting for converting blu ray files which I ripped using MakeMKV. On the whole the process has been quite a success but for some reason certain MKV files, when converted in Handbrake, generate massive m4v files and i can't see why this happens.

For instance, I ripped a BR copy of 'Avatar' using MakeMKV which generated a file of about 30G in size - I then converted this in handbrake using the new ATV3 preset and ended up with a file of about 10G. This is an acceptable size for me since storage space is not an issue. Similarly, when I ripped of copy of 'Downfall' using MakeMKV it it generated an MKV file of about 30G...but when I converted it in Handbrake is generated an MKV file of 22G...that's about twice my target file size.

Does anyone know why certain films generate such large m4v files in the ATV3 preset when the MKV source file is the same size?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

G.

2. mic j macrumors 68030

Constant quality yields a variable file size. Grainy or dark videos are usually the source of the larger file sizes. As an example, with the aTV3 preset you basically are telling HB to transcode "all" information, there is no smoothing, so HB encodes information to define every detail it see's, including every piece of grain. So the more grain...the more info...the larger the file.