Handbrake, ATV, Subtitles

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by HJ24, Sep 17, 2014.

1. HJ24 macrumors regular

I'm trying to convert mkv to m4v using handbrake and I cannot get the soft subtitles to show up in iTunes! I'm trying to add an external srt track. They of course show up in VLC.

PLEASE help!

I've tried to search around, and i'm more confused with all the different suggestions that don't work.

2. mic j macrumors 68030

Are you trying to do full subtitles (those that show for all dialog) or forced subtitles (those that for appear for nonnative dialog in a native dialog movie)?

3. HJ24 thread starter macrumors regular

Full subtitles. Thanks for the reply.

4. mic j macrumors 68030

You will have to mux the srt file into the mp4. I use Subler (free) for that. mp4tools is also an option and has a free trial, I think.

If you don't need them "soft", HB can burn them in.

5. HJ24 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, that shouldn't be too hard then. Thank you!

6. mic j macrumors 68030

If you are using Subler (and I would highly recommend having it in your tool box as it is an exceptional app and free), open the file you want to add the subtitles to. Then select Import, choose the srt, add it and save the file.

Before you want to go and watch the movie, check the timing of the subtitles. I have found that when adding art's to mp4's, sometimes the timing needed to be adjusted. Subler has a function in the Edit pull-down menu called offset. Using that you can shift the subtitle to match the dialog. I usually would watch a little of the movie with the subtitles on a stopwatch in hand. If you notice the subtitles and dialog are not synced correctly, measure the shift using a stopwatch. Then go into Subler and put that value in. It will get you pretty close. From there you can "play" with small increments of the Offset to precisely time your subtitles.

7. Alrescha macrumors 68020

If you want the Apple TV to automatically play subtitles, the language of the audio track must be different than the Apple TV's default language (English for most of us) and the movie must contain a subtitle track for the default language. For example, if the Apple TV sees that the language of your movie is French but there is an English subtitle track, it will automatically display the subtitles. If you have accidentally tagged your audio track as English, they will not display.

If you want to just see if the Apple TV sees the subtitle track at all, you can hold down Select while you are playing the movie and change the subtitles from 'Automatic' to 'English' (or whatever language your subtitles are in).

A.

8. HJ24 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh nice, I hate having to turn them on.

----------

Surprisingly I somehow just got them to work using Handbrake. They show up as soft subtitles on Apple TV, they do have a little black box as their background but I can live with that lol

9. mic j macrumors 68030

I'm surprised. I didn't think HB did soft subtitles. But it's been a while since I have used or updated it. Glad you got it working without going through the extra steps.