Handbrake .avi from DVDShrink DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gladiswitched, Jan 11, 2010.

1. gladiswitched macrumors newbie

Hi folks, my first post! Hope this is in the right place. I searched the forums by keyword and didn't really turn much up, so...

Could anyone out there post the precise, exact steps required to rip a DVD that's been backed up using DVDShrink (audio_ts and video_ts folders) to .avi or .mp4 using Handbrake? I've tried several times and several combinations of setting, but Handbrake just finishes the rip in less than a minute and the resulting file is a few seconds of fastforwarded waste.

I'm looking for fair quality, to watch on a 40" HD TV via a thumb drive in the USB of an XBox Arcade. It doesn't have to be perfect, but clear enough would be great.

If someone could help out a fellow Mac fan, that'd be super sweet. Thanks, folks! :):apple:

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

First, let me ask, are you sure the DVDShrink rip is good?

Generally Hand Brake just re-encodes the info that is already there. I've seen what you are describing before, but each time it turned out to be an issue with the rip.

Also, make sure you are selecting the Chapter in Handbrake that has the longest time....usually auto selected, but sometimes not.

Then, make sure that you select the codec and container you want...h.264 / mp4, then set it for 2 pass with turbo 1st pass, and set the bit rate to about 1100 Constant. Start processing. Shouldn't need anymore than that.

But, definitely watch the rip and see if there are glitches or weird spots.

Brian

3. gladiswitched thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Brian, thanks for the tips! I have watched the rips before, they seemed fine on the DVD player and in the Macbook Pro. The only things I deselected in the DVDShrink process was other foreign subtitles I won't use - if it has special features I usually leave those on there. Will try it again in Handbrake following your steps suggested. Another thought that has occurred to me is that perhaps the issue is because DVDShrink has already compressed the files to fit the DVD-R... is it a different compression type to go to .mp4, maybe, and that's why it buggers up? That may seem a noob question, because that's what I am!

Also, which video file to choose? In the video_ts folder, there are multiple .vob files that are 1023.9 in size, so I must assume that the first one (1.1) is the movie, the rest (2.1, 3.1, 4.1) are features?

Anyway, will give it a go. Thanks! :):apple:

4. gladiswitched thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, so I tried what you said and still can't get it to work. Would you be willing to post exact specific steps to help out? I know it's a pain but every permutation I try seems to be rejected.

Is it possible that there's a difference between the 32-bit and 64-bit Handbrake on my machine? I have a 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook Pro, so I assumed the 64-bit was OK?

Thanks!

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I use the 32 bit, and make sure you have the latest VLC for OS X installed as well. Using 64 bit, it seems like I've read that you need the 64 bit previous version of VLC X.X.2 instead of X.X.3 or something to that effect.

At any rate, try the 32 bit version and see if that might do it for you. I'm not home now, but will post a link to a video of exactly what I do when I use Handbrake.

I have used "compressed" rips before without any trouble, so I don't think it's that.

Brian

6. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Here are the basic settings I use...for more detail specific movies I would up the BitRate to 1500 or 1700 personally, but I don't see so well, so other's may use a higher setting. At some point, however, you may as well watch the DVD version, because the file size will be nearly the same.

http://www.innovativecr.com/videos/HandBrake_Setup.mov (22 MB File)

Maybe it will help...

7. gladiswitched thread starter macrumors newbie

This is fantastic, thanks! I have watched the video and will give this a go as soon as I get the kid to bed (and yes, he's up way past bedtime)! Thanks SO much for going to the trouble for this!!
    :):apple:

8. gladiswitched thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, gave it a try. Sorry to be a pain in the rear about this but it still isn't working. I've gone back to the 32-bit Handbrake, and made sure VLC is up to date.

From your video, I noticed you're taking the source file from a hard drive. I am pulling from a DVD burnt using RecordNow on an XP PC after DVDShrink was done backing up, with the usual AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS files. Not sure if that has anything to do with this?

My steps: I selected the DVD under Source, then in the VIDEO_TS folder I selected the largest file, which happens in this case to be VTS_01_1.VOB at 1023.9 MB which, when it's scanned in as the Source, I'm told is equal to 1h41m59s. That should be my movie. I chose everything else for settings as you did in your video, and it still took about 30 seconds to completely make both passes and the resulting file is ten seconds of seemingly random scenes and disjointed audio and then it ends.

So do I need to get this file onto the hard drive first, then do the rip? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks so much for all your trouble. I know this must be a pain.

9. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Yes when I have done it I selected the VIDEO_TS folder itself not the .VOB file then handbrake will scan it giving you the list of video it finds on the disc, once it does this then choose the video part you want encoded and start the ripping of it.

Edit: BTW you must be using an older version of Handbrake as the newest does not support ripping to .avi anymore...

10. gladiswitched thread starter macrumors newbie

I must still be doing something wrong. I chose the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD and let it scan all of it, not just the longest file. Again I selected all of the same things you did in your video and it still did the short double-pass and gave the same useless output file.

Could there have been a setting in DVDShrink, back when I was originally backing the movie up, that is messing with this process now? I never re-authored, just de-selected subtitles I wouldn't need. Otherwise it was a straight rip, so I'm not sure how but it's a thought.

Wish I knew how to make a movie of what I'm doing, like you did, so you could see it. I wrote down and am following your steps. Hm.

And yeah, I just said .avi in the title of the post because I wouldn't care whether it was .avi or .mp4 or something else, so long as it'll play through a thumb drive in the xbox 360 to the TV.

Am I out of options? :confused::apple:

11. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

I think you may be out of them or at the least I am out of ideas on it, I have encoded many DVDs that have been shrunk from DVD9 to DVD5 to .avi or .mp4 so it does work not that does you much good with your situation here..

12. gladiswitched thread starter macrumors newbie

Thought I'd try the process from an actual DVD tonight, and it made a perfect copy (and played just fine with VLC). This confirms Handbrake is working, and the settings you recommend are what's required. Guess I'll just try another backed-up disc, see if maybe it's the one I was really wanting to do that was the problem. If not, well, I guess I use Handbrake for future discs only, and that'd be a bummer.

Thanks again for all of your help. You really went above and beyond!!

13. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Okay, as a last ditch effort...get Mactheripper, and re-rip your DVDshrink DVD. Then make sure the Video_TS folder will play through VLC from your Mac HDD.

Then try again to rip using Handbrake settings.

It's a long way around, but it may work, until you work through your DVDShrink rips.

Brian

14. gladiswitched thread starter macrumors newbie

I like your line of thinking. Will try it when I get the chance and report back here. Thanks! :):apple:

15. gladiswitched thread starter macrumors newbie

Been out of town, headed back out this week. Back probably Thursday. Also trying to update xbox using thumb drive (no ethernet in that room) as it won't play the movies until I do. This is a whole lot of work for something that's supposed to be ease of use! :):apple: