Handbrake - best quality

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by VaatiKaiba, Dec 16, 2008.

1. VaatiKaiba macrumors 6502

I was wondering - what settings have others found for getting the best quality video when ripping on Handbrake? I've been ripping DVDs and watching them on my TV using :apple:tv, but they all turn out grainy, which (if they were the same quality) shouldn't be, as they should be DVD quality. I've tried a few times, and haven't found an ideal set-up - can anyone suggest any?

Thanks!

2. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

I always use the two pass option with H.264 encoding and the frame rate set to match the source. It has worked like a charm in the past.

3. bnut macrumors newbie

bnut

I've had the same results as macbwizard, with the same settings, it has given me consistently the best results of anything of tried on any platform :p On some videos you may want to fiddle with the interlacing and other filters, depending on the source and age of the encoding on the input.

However I have set a target file size for many of my videos, this is just me being precious about episodes and videos being the same size and it's in general best to leave it on automatic.