Handbrake - Best Settings to encode for ATV and iPhone use?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by pilot1226, Feb 29, 2012.

1. pilot1226 macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

If I was going to rip/encode some of my DVDs for use on BOTH my iPhone and streaming to Apple TV, what would the best settings be for Handbrake? Universal?

2. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Assuming you mean the AppleTV v2 and iPhone 4S, you can start with something like the high profile preset to create smaller (but same quality) encodes than the Universal or AppleTV presets.

3. AppleRocks2011 macrumors member

AppleRocks2011

Up To You

Hi there! You have to remember, DVD's contain a lot of information. If you imported a movie from a DVD onto your laptop at full quality, it would be between 4-6 GB's of storage.

I usually keep my movies at 800MB, that way it looks fine on the computer, and it looks alright on ATV.

If you want good quality, I would compress the files to 1.5GB's or so.

Hope that helps!

4. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

If you have at least a IP4 and the ATV2 - selecting the ATV2 settings will produce a file playable on both.

5. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I use the iPad setting and files look great on all three, iPhone, iPad, and ATV.

6. pilot1226 thread starter macrumors 6502a

pilot1226

Great, thanks for the responses. I'll try one and see how they turn out. I have an iPhone 4S, which the preset in Handbrake works great for, a DVD typically turns into around a 1.0 GB file... but they look fuzzy on both computer and TV (via USB Flash Drive).

Planning on getting ATV 3 next week after new launch (hopefully) so wanted to start converting all the stuff.

Thanks again!

7. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

I use the :apple:TV2 preset (720p) for playback on :apple:TV2, iPad and iPhone 4--looks great on all devices.